[Sentoa] Winter Storage

Herb Nickles captain at allhandsandthecook.com
Thu Oct 28 12:06:39 EDT 2004

Jeff,

With our 37, we have been alternating storage "on the hard" with wet
storage every other year.  Snorri is berthed in Narragansett Bay in
Wickford Cove which is completely surrounded by land--essentially a
hurricane hole, i.e., she is well protected.  In two winters of wet
storage (2001 and 2003), we haven't had a single problem even though
the cove froze solid last year.  The marina runs bubblers to keep ice
from forming around the hull.  She is winterized the same as being on
the hard including shrink wrapping.  We haul her in the spring for a
"short haul" to clean the bottom, touch up any bottom paint, and
replace zincs.   This ends up saving us around $500 and gets us off to
a very early start in the Spring.  All we have to do is pull the shrink
wrap off, open the seacocks, and fill the water tank--no waiting for
the yard to launch her.

We always do oil and oil filter changes for both the engine and genset
and top off the diesel when we winterize.  In the spring we replace the
primary fuel filters but only replace the Racor filters based on total
hours of use.  When on the hard we have no ability to charge the
batteries.  I've never removed any and never had a problem.  When she
is stored wet we keep the shore power connected and the batteries
charged.  We repainted the bottom, using the same paint as the factory,
after her second season.  Since then, an annual touch up has been
sufficient.

Don't forget to winterize all of the systems on the 37:  hot and cold
water; shower, sump, and pump; head, holding tank, and macerator;
windshield washers; deck washdown pump; cockpit shower; and air
conditioners.  Other things we do (prior to winterizing):  pump out the
holding tank; wash the refrigerator and freezer well and leave the
doors open; charge all the batteries; drain the fresh and hot water
tanks, remove water filter; turn off propane; remove all food and any
maintenance supplies that could freeze; remove computers (but not nav
electronics); remove bedding; and lower cargo mast and all antennae
before shrink wrapping.  We usually store our dinghy on the boat deck
under the shrink wrap.  We winterize the outboard and store in indoor
storage.  I'm sure I missed something.....

Whew, this is a lot of work.  It would be much easier to head South!

Herb Nickles
SNORRI, NT 37-049
www.snorri.info