[Sentoa] Carpet

bobdiamondsea at aol.com bobdiamondsea at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 12:57:08 EDT 2006

My 1988 32 was built the old way; that is, "stick built" within a f'glass hull.  The hull stringers are glass, but the cabin sole (floor) is wood.  When I purchased the boat in 1992 I faced the water tank lack of access problem as I had a leak at one of them.  I bit the bullet.  I took up the carpet and carefully cut large hatches in the floor and removed the plastic tanks and dug out the foam that held them in place.  I replaced with custom made stainless steel tanks that were shaped to fit the space including the slope of the bottom of the hull.  The tops of the tanks are flush with the bottom of the floor and using the same wood mostly, hatches were put in the floor each held down by about 30 screws around the edges, and the carpet put back on top.  To save space on top of the tanks they fill from the bottom.  Each tank has a fitting with a bronze inch and a half pipe from the low point coming through into the engine room.  A T fitting at the engine room bulk head accepts
 the fill hose and a reducer down to one half inch. Another T then has a vertical clear hose as a sight level gage and a horizontal hose to the water pump.  This arrangement increased my water capacity from 100 gal to 160 gal.  A few years later a small leak developed in one tank.  In a six hour period the boat yard had the tank out, pressure tested it to find a pinhole in the metal (not at a weld!), spot welded the leak, reinstalled the tank, put the hatch back, and put the carpet back!  If anyone wants more details contact me directly at the email address or at 703-408-2693.
Bob Calves -- DIAMOND SEA -- 32027  Urbanna, VA