[Sentoa] sound shield for genset

Jerold Tabbott jhtabbott at n-american.com
Thu Jun 7 10:40:53 EDT 2007

Elliott,

As info, we put a 2500 KW NextGen in the engine compartment of our 26
(mounted on a platform, portside). There wasn't a sound shield/
cabinet for it when we purchased it, and we found we had major
problems with heat. Once the ambient temperature gets over a certain
mark, the genset part of the unit will shut down (diesel continues
running). This could happen very quickly, defeating the purpose of
having a generator (for us, air conditioning).

The problem we had on our 26 was ventilation. The original 26's were
designed with expectation of using smaller main engines (30-60 hp),
so the ventilation requirements were rather small. Ours has the old
wooden louver vents located aft of the pilothouse doors. We added a
vent to the portside, by the genset to allow more air. However, this
was not enough. Subsequently, we added a 120v blower to pull air from
the engine compartment. This, too, was insufficient to cool the
genset. It wasn't until we closed off the portside compartment from
the main engine compartment that we finally got better results. This
allowed the blower to more effectively recirculate the air just
around the genset (instead of the whole engine compartment). So in my
opinion, aside from the sound proofing value, the much greater
importance of these genset jackets is to ensure it stays cool.

Improving our cooling/soundproofing arrangement is still on my to-do
list. The NextGen we purchased now sells with its own casing, and
casings are available. Unfortunately, trying to fit it around the
genset after the fact is not practical for us (would have to remove
both genset and Yanmar first).

Jerold Tabbott
Lady Diane II (26-065)