[Sentoa] sound shield for genset

Elliot Kocen edk1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 7 11:31:07 EDT 2007

Bob & Jerry, Thanks for the info. We also wanted a genset to run our A/C.
However, our engine compartment has hardly any room left for me much less a
genset, as we have a 100 HP Yanmar along with 3 AGM batteries, chargers, hot
water and holding tank, etc. I would put the genset in the lazarette, if I
could figure out where I'm going to store all the other stuff that's already
there. As an interim solution, we're installing a new high efficiency
Italian Climma 12Kbtu A/C (supposedly equivalent to a 14K btu standard unit)
which has been tested to run off of batteries.  The unit is expected to draw
165 amp hours over 12 hours with a 3 hour run time.  We will confirm this
next week after the installation.  Our hope is that we can use the A/C
underway, while the 110 amp alternator attempts to keeps up with the draw
down, and cool the boat off prior to anchoring.  We have 530 amp hours in
the current battery bank.  If we need more, we'll add more batteries in the
lazarette.  While not cheap, it's less than a new gen set, we hope.  If
you're interested, I'll report back on the results.  Elliot Kocen,
Canvasback, NT 26-150, Solomons, MD