[Sentoa] Neva-Kool - Cool and not Cool

aem2 at prodigy.net aem2 at prodigy.net
Fri Jun 8 12:21:26 EDT 2007

I have been chasing the low cooling problem on my Nova-Kool for a couple of years.

I made sure it was properly charged.

I finally mounted a 12v muffin fan behind the condenser coils which runs when the compressor does, which is almost all the time. This seemed to help a bit.

I discovered that when the refrigerator is pulled out and in the open air of the salon, it works well, giving freezer temperature in the teens and box temperature in the high 30's. This is with an ambient of 70 - 80 degrees.

However, when I remount it under the counter, the temp climbs so that the freeze is hovering around the 30-32 mark.

The vent under the box is clear and the opening to the engine room vents is clear, behind the cabinets.

I thin the only solution is to cut a vent above the box, in the front of the counter, corresponding to the grills below, though I don't like the appearance. Or, I could mount a grill in the outboard part of the counter above the box, which would also provide good circulation, but I don't like the idea of a grill there, either.

Any one else had this problem? Any other solutions.

Al & Evelyn McKenney
Nordic Star
32-178
Williamsburg VA