[Sentoa] NT32 stern tube

J. M. Hebda railroad at sover.net
Fri Jun 8 20:56:14 EDT 2007

Folks,
--
Just got our new 32 home, doing drive train work.
Started out simply needing a new rear cutlass bearing.
We discovered a burnt-up remains of a forward bearing
just aft of the stuffing box. Is this the same type
of cutlass bearing as the rear one by the rudder?
--
The area around the stuffing box was in shambles. The
water feed tube was plugged solid, and literally crumbled
in your hand at the stern tube trying to dis-assemble,
set-screws stripped, spun, or missing. Our boat mechanic
was cursing up a storm as you might imagine.
--
In addition to restoration of the shaft system, he suggests
an additional water feed hole through the shaft tube and