[Sentoa] Nordic Tug 26'

Richard Quarles rwquarles at suddenlink.net
Thu Jun 21 17:17:50 EDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 0:51:48 -0500
> From: <lsimpkins53 at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: [Sentoa] Nordic Tug 26'
> To: "South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association	(SENTOA)"
> 	<sentoa at lists.samurai.com>
>
> "How to most economically get the features I want" - well put!
> Thanks for your help. Being new to this type of boating, can you
> tell me what awlgripped means? There are alot of electronic
> equipment choices out there. Radar would be a must, due to the fog
> we have here in TN. We live on the Cumberland River and there's
> alot of tow boat/barge traffic. I really like the 2 pilothouse
> doors also. But that's not a must. I've received several responses
> to my post that I will follow up on. Thanks again for your time and
> help.
> Lynn

> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:19:04 -0400
> From: Jerold Tabbott <jhtabbott at n-american.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sentoa] Nordic Tug 26'
> To: "South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association \(SENTOA\)"
> 	<sentoa at lists.samurai.com>
>
> Lynn,
>
> Awlgrip is a paint, but when properly applied by experts the results
> are a bright 'factory new' looking boat. Typically, all nicks, dings,
> and blemishes are cleaned, sanded, filled and gone before they even
> begin painting. And the paint job itself involves several treatments
> before producing the final shine they're looking for. Oh, and pretty
> expensive, too.

Awlgrip is one of several two-part linear polyurethane finishes.  It
is available in a rainbow of colors to match most anything, as well
as clear.  Typically the boat would be compounded to remove dings and
blemishes, followed by two coats sprayed on by experts.  Many (most?)
boatyards have the capability and will have a favorite brand.  The
finish is very long-lived and doesn't fade from sun exposure like a
gel-coat will.  We had the red hull of our 32' clear-coated with
Awlgrip in 2001.  The red, two years old, was faded badly,
particularly on the port side which faces the sun at our dock.  After
compounding, which restored the color, it was clear-coated.  It still
looks show-room bright today.  Many older boats have been painted in
various colors because the gel-coat had faded too badly to restore
and many boat manufacturers paint as new, over white fiberglass.  Two-
part linear polyurethane is the way to go for a long-lasting finish.
Yes, it is expensive.

Rick Quarles
Barric II, Nordic Tug 32-147
New Bern, NC