[Sentoa] shaft alignment

Jim Stimpson jstimpson at torchlake.com
Thu Jun 21 19:53:34 EDT 2007

Bob,
I was very upset when you came out with the recommendation to check the
shaft alignment every year on boats that are taken out of the water each
winter. I have had my boat 6 years, have logged 1600 hours and have never
checked the alignment. I did hit a rock the second year I had the boat which
bent the shaft. The shaft was straightened. I don't know if the yard checked
the alignment, but I do know they did not change any adjustment on the
mounts. Since that time I have run over 1200 hours with no vibration or
bearing problems. I have often wondered when it would be necessary to change
the forward cutlass bearing - what is your recommendation for that? As for
alignment I never knew it was recommended. Your recent recommendation is the
first time I ever heard about it. It is hard for me to understand why a
check is necessary -once properly aligned what can cause it to change? My
engine mount adjustment has not changed --has the boat distorted?  If this
check is so important why was it not included in the owners manual? I
aligned shafts over 50 years ago in a 28 ft Bay City boat I helped my dad
build. Back then I just removed the bolts from the coupling and used a
feeler gage to check the gap around the flange. Is this still the basic way
to do the job?
I think the least that Nordic Tugs can do for us owners is publish a
recommended procedure. By the way I do not have an "A" layout and access to
the coupling is not a problem for me.

Jim Stimpson
Tug Jimary - Duncan Bay Boat Club, Cheboygan, MI
NTK 32-193