sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Restoring Colored Inlay

HG
Henry Gamsby
Wed, Sep 1, 2021 4:34 PM

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was
wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with
compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id
rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted. LYRA NT37-90 Henry Gamsby Fairhaven, MA
SH
stephen.h.hill@gmail.com
Wed, Sep 1, 2021 5:28 PM

I had my cove stripe and water line wet sanded, polished and then ceramic coated.
Stephen Hill NT37-199
Tug’n

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

I had my cove stripe and water line wet sanded, polished and then ceramic coated. Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n Sent from my iPhone > On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted. > > LYRA > > NT37-90 > > Henry Gamsby > > Fairhaven, MA > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
HH
Harry Hungate
Wed, Sep 1, 2021 8:50 PM

We had our green trim repainted when we had the chines filled.  Now Bessie looks sharp and is very quiet!

Harry and Jane
NT 32-238

On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Stephen via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

I had my cove stripe and water line wet sanded, polished and then ceramic coated.
Stephen Hill NT37-199
Tug’n

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

We had our green trim repainted when we had the chines filled. Now Bessie looks sharp and is very quiet! Harry and Jane NT 32-238 > On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Stephen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > I had my cove stripe and water line wet sanded, polished and then ceramic coated. > Stephen Hill NT37-199 > Tug’n > > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >> >> My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted. >> >> LYRA >> >> NT37-90 >> >> Henry Gamsby >> >> Fairhaven, MA >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
FF
Fire Fighter
Wed, Sep 1, 2021 11:48 PM

On my Tug, I used a Makita polisher with Presta Chroma cut polish, followed by Presta Chroma Polish, and then waxed it (2 coats) by hand with a good paste wax (Collinite Fleetwax). It restored the shine to a 2002 boat and the shine lasted fairly well for a full year (maybe a while longer) here on the BC south coast (water still beaded nicely after 18 months one time). Same process each year for the time I owned her (from 2016 to 2021). It is quite a bit of work, but painting is not cheap if you have a "pro" do it.

Good luck,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was
wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with
compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id
rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

On my Tug, I used a Makita polisher with Presta Chroma cut polish, followed by Presta Chroma Polish, and then waxed it (2 coats) by hand with a good paste wax (Collinite Fleetwax). It restored the shine to a 2002 boat and the shine lasted fairly well for a full year (maybe a while longer) here on the BC south coast (water still beaded nicely after 18 months one time). Same process each year for the time I owned her (from 2016 to 2021). It is quite a bit of work, but painting is not cheap if you have a "pro" do it. Good luck, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: September 1, 2021 9:34 AM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Henry Gamsby <hgamsby@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Restoring Colored Inlay My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted. LYRA NT37-90 Henry Gamsby Fairhaven, MA _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
JP
Jon Paulus
Thu, Sep 2, 2021 12:53 AM

When we purchased our tug, 32-161, the trim was red and had faded to pink. We had experience trying to reclaim dark colors of faded gel oat that were less than satt. We opted to change the color to blue and had it professionally resprayed. Just the red stripe, red boot stripe and  fakestack top. Would 100% do it again.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

When we purchased our tug, 32-161, the trim was red and had faded to pink. We had experience trying to reclaim dark colors of faded gel oat that were less than satt. We opted to change the color to blue and had it professionally resprayed. Just the red stripe, red boot stripe and fakestack top. Would 100% do it again. Sent from my iPhone > On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted. > > LYRA > > NT37-90 > > Henry Gamsby > > Fairhaven, MA > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
DB
David Boyuka
Thu, Sep 2, 2021 1:29 AM

Has anyone tried to use vinyl wrap for the stripe?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021, 8:54 PM Jon Paulus via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
wrote:

When we purchased our tug, 32-161, the trim was red and had faded to pink.
We had experience trying to reclaim dark colors of faded gel oat that were
less than satt. We opted to change the color to blue and had it
professionally resprayed. Just the red stripe, red boot stripe and
fakestack top. Would 100% do it again.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was

wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with
compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id
rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

Has anyone tried to use vinyl wrap for the stripe? On Wed, Sep 1, 2021, 8:54 PM Jon Paulus via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > When we purchased our tug, 32-161, the trim was red and had faded to pink. > We had experience trying to reclaim dark colors of faded gel oat that were > less than satt. We opted to change the color to blue and had it > professionally resprayed. Just the red stripe, red boot stripe and > fakestack top. Would 100% do it again. > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa < > sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > > > My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was > wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with > compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id > rather restore if possible then have it painted. > > > > LYRA > > > > NT37-90 > > > > Henry Gamsby > > > > Fairhaven, MA > > _______________________________________________ > > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
CT
Chris Tassone
Thu, Sep 2, 2021 12:29 PM

Bruno, 32-190 is green with an ivory stripe.  I cleaned and dewaxed it then applied 6 coats of Poli-Glo the 4 years ago.  Every year I give it a good wash and apply 2 coats.  The faded green looks really good.  I was a skeptic of Poli-Glo but after compounding 2 previous boats my shoulders were shot so I gave it a try.  It has worked well the last 4 years.  Bruno is only in the water about 5 months and stored inside for the winter, so I don’t know how Poli -Glo would hold up in a southern climate.

Chris Tassone

Bruno NT 32-190

Traverse City, MI

On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > wrote:

My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted.

LYRA

NT37-90

Henry Gamsby

Fairhaven, MA

Bruno, 32-190 is green with an ivory stripe. I cleaned and dewaxed it then applied 6 coats of Poli-Glo the 4 years ago. Every year I give it a good wash and apply 2 coats. The faded green looks really good. I was a skeptic of Poli-Glo but after compounding 2 previous boats my shoulders were shot so I gave it a try. It has worked well the last 4 years. Bruno is only in the water about 5 months and stored inside for the winter, so I don’t know how Poli -Glo would hold up in a southern climate. Chris Tassone Bruno NT 32-190 Traverse City, MI From: David Boyuka via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 9:29 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: David Boyuka <david.boyuka@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Restoring Colored Inlay Has anyone tried to use vinyl wrap for the stripe? On Wed, Sep 1, 2021, 8:54 PM Jon Paulus via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > wrote: When we purchased our tug, 32-161, the trim was red and had faded to pink. We had experience trying to reclaim dark colors of faded gel oat that were less than satt. We opted to change the color to blue and had it professionally resprayed. Just the red stripe, red boot stripe and fakestack top. Would 100% do it again. Sent from my iPhone > On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Henry Gamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > wrote: > > My NT37-90 is showing pretty dull in the green inlay/stripe. Was wondering how successful people have been in restoring the shine with compounding and polishing with a buffer. Looks to be simply gelcoat. Id rather restore if possible then have it painted. > > LYRA > > NT37-90 > > Henry Gamsby > > Fairhaven, MA > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org> _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org>