sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Bow thruster

ND
Nathan Dimock
Sun, May 29, 2022 12:32 PM

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it
completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. Nathan Carolena II NT 32
DC
Don Conway
Sun, May 29, 2022 12:48 PM

Thanks Nathan.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 29, 2022, at 8:32 AM, Nathan Dimock via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

Thanks Nathan. Sent from my iPhone > On May 29, 2022, at 8:32 AM, Nathan Dimock via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. > > Nathan > Carolena II > NT 32 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
TK
Tom Krahn
Sun, May 29, 2022 7:40 PM

Ditto for us.

Tom Krahn
Diana B.  32-285
Barrington, RI

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 8:32 AM Nathan Dimock via Sentoa <
sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it
completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

Ditto for us. Tom Krahn Diana B. 32-285 Barrington, RI On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 8:32 AM Nathan Dimock via Sentoa < sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it > completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. > > Nathan > Carolena II > NT 32 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
FF
Fire Fighter
Sun, May 29, 2022 7:54 PM

If you have an older model, you may not be able to obtain parts (new brushes)? This is what I found when I tried to buy a spare set. Ours was 2002.
Tom Easterbrook
Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

If you have an older model, you may not be able to obtain parts (new brushes)? This is what I found when I tried to buy a spare set. Ours was 2002. Tom Easterbrook Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Don Conway via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: May 29, 2022 5:48 AM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Don Conway <dandjconway@hotmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Bow thruster Thanks Nathan. Sent from my iPhone > On May 29, 2022, at 8:32 AM, Nathan Dimock via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. > > Nathan > Carolena II > NT 32 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
HH
Harry Hungate
Sun, May 29, 2022 8:09 PM

Many of the larger electric motor rebuilding shops can make up a set of brushes for you, or try an auto parts store.  You might be lucky and find a set of starter brushes that will fit after a bit of judicious filing and sanding.  Note: starter brushes and not generator brushes as the composition is quite different.

Harry Hungate

On May 29, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Fire Fighter via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

If you have an older model, you may not be able to obtain parts (new brushes)? This is what I found when I tried to buy a spare set. Ours was 2002.
Tom Easterbrook
Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC
We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

Many of the larger electric motor rebuilding shops can make up a set of brushes for you, or try an auto parts store. You might be lucky and find a set of starter brushes that will fit after a bit of judicious filing and sanding. Note: starter brushes and not generator brushes as the composition is quite different. Harry Hungate > On May 29, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > If you have an older model, you may not be able to obtain parts (new brushes)? This is what I found when I tried to buy a spare set. Ours was 2002. > Tom Easterbrook > Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 > Nanaimo, BC > From: Don Conway via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Sent: May 29, 2022 5:48 AM > To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Cc: Don Conway <dandjconway@hotmail.com> > Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Bow thruster > > Thanks Nathan. > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On May 29, 2022, at 8:32 AM, Nathan Dimock via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > > >  > > We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. > > > > Nathan > > Carolena II > > NT 32 > > _______________________________________________ > > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
DC
Don Conway
Sun, Jul 10, 2022 9:51 PM

Bow thruster epilogue.

As previously reported, the bow thruster on KONA worked initially at the launch dock day on May 23.  However, when pulling into the slip it gradually stopped working.  Then I would only get a click when I pushed the joy stick.  After making various readings with the multi-meter and not being able to confirm a diagnosis I did what any guy would do, I got the hammer.  It worked.  By tapping the solenoid, the thruster worked. . . for a short while and then only clicking.  The process was repeatable: hammer, thruster worked until it didn’t.  Since I was hitting the solenoid, I concluded that it was the problem.  I replaced the solenoid, which by boat project standards was fairly easy.  I pulled the motor to replace the solenoid since the boat did not have to be hauled out.

The thruster worked for a while, then it stopped working in exactly the same way as before.  Since the electric motor was easy to remove, I pulled the motor and took it to a local electrical shop.  The culprit was the brushes, of which there are four.  As can be found on other NT threads, the brushes for this particular motor (thruster model SP 55 S) are not made any more.  The electrical shop contacted the local Side-Power service people and this was confirmed.  I contacted Sleipner’s US headquarters in Massachusetts and was told the same thing.  To replace the brushes, you have to have them “fabricated”.  Which after talking to the local shop, it sounds like fabrication consists of buying brushes that are slightly larger than what is specified and sanding them down to size with very fine sand paper.  Specs provided below.

However, the guy at the shop said the original brushes in my motor were actually in decent shape and had plenty of service left.  The brushes were getting stuck because dust had accumulated and was gunking up the works.  He cleaned the brushes, said everything else looked to be in very good condition, and that the motor worked fine.  I reinstalled the motor and it has been working well.  In fact the thruster sounds better than ever (this is only my second season with this boat).  At some point in an off-season I will pull the motor and “fabricate” new brushes.  In the meantime, I feel fortunate to have a thruster that is working. . .for now.

From my conversation with Ray at Sleipner Customer Services:
Original part # for brushes: SM Brush-03S (no longer available)
Dimensions: 19.75 mm x 9.1 mm x 25.4 mm

Safe Travels

Don Conway
KONA,  NT 32-215
Traverse City, Michigan

Sent from Mailhttps://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986 for Windows

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

Bow thruster epilogue. As previously reported, the bow thruster on KONA worked initially at the launch dock day on May 23. However, when pulling into the slip it gradually stopped working. Then I would only get a click when I pushed the joy stick. After making various readings with the multi-meter and not being able to confirm a diagnosis I did what any guy would do, I got the hammer. It worked. By tapping the solenoid, the thruster worked. . . for a short while and then only clicking. The process was repeatable: hammer, thruster worked until it didn’t. Since I was hitting the solenoid, I concluded that it was the problem. I replaced the solenoid, which by boat project standards was fairly easy. I pulled the motor to replace the solenoid since the boat did not have to be hauled out. The thruster worked for a while, then it stopped working in exactly the same way as before. Since the electric motor was easy to remove, I pulled the motor and took it to a local electrical shop. The culprit was the brushes, of which there are four. As can be found on other NT threads, the brushes for this particular motor (thruster model SP 55 S) are not made any more. The electrical shop contacted the local Side-Power service people and this was confirmed. I contacted Sleipner’s US headquarters in Massachusetts and was told the same thing. To replace the brushes, you have to have them “fabricated”. Which after talking to the local shop, it sounds like fabrication consists of buying brushes that are slightly larger than what is specified and sanding them down to size with very fine sand paper. Specs provided below. However, the guy at the shop said the original brushes in my motor were actually in decent shape and had plenty of service left. The brushes were getting stuck because dust had accumulated and was gunking up the works. He cleaned the brushes, said everything else looked to be in very good condition, and that the motor worked fine. I reinstalled the motor and it has been working well. In fact the thruster sounds better than ever (this is only my second season with this boat). At some point in an off-season I will pull the motor and “fabricate” new brushes. In the meantime, I feel fortunate to have a thruster that is working. . .for now. From my conversation with Ray at Sleipner Customer Services: Original part # for brushes: SM Brush-03S (no longer available) Dimensions: 19.75 mm x 9.1 mm x 25.4 mm Safe Travels Don Conway KONA, NT 32-215 Traverse City, Michigan Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows From: Harry Hungate via Sentoa<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2022 4:09 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Harry Hungate<mailto:wcx7106@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Bow thruster Many of the larger electric motor rebuilding shops can make up a set of brushes for you, or try an auto parts store. You might be lucky and find a set of starter brushes that will fit after a bit of judicious filing and sanding. Note: starter brushes and not generator brushes as the composition is quite different. Harry Hungate On May 29, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:  If you have an older model, you may not be able to obtain parts (new brushes)? This is what I found when I tried to buy a spare set. Ours was 2002. Tom Easterbrook Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC From: Don Conway via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: May 29, 2022 5:48 AM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Don Conway <dandjconway@hotmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Bow thruster Thanks Nathan. Sent from my iPhone > On May 29, 2022, at 8:32 AM, Nathan Dimock via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. > > Nathan > Carolena II > NT 32 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
HH
Harry Hungate
Sun, Jul 10, 2022 10:30 PM

Brush dust buildup is a frequent culprit in dc motor problems.  Make a note to pull your bow thruster motor, clean out the accumulated dust, clean the commutator with 1000 grit wet or dry abrasive paper or crocus cloth, wipe clean with acetone or MEK, remove the glaze from the brushes with the abrasive paper,  reinstall the brushes, making sure that they move smoothly in their holders, and you should be good for a couple or three years (or more).  If you do indeed need new brushes, make sure that you make them from starter motor brushes and not generator or exciter brushes, as the graphite formulation is specific to the service.

Harry Hungate
Bessie. NT 32-238
PS. I serviced Bessie’s bow thruster shortly after purchase.  I might add to write Pull for On on the red knob on the circuit breaker!

On Jul 10, 2022, at 5:51 PM, Don Conway dandjconway@hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

From my conversation with Ray at Sleipner Customer Services:
Original part # for brushes: SM Brush-03S (no longer available)
Dimensions: 19.75 mm x 9.1 mm x 25.4 mm

Safe Travels

Don Conway
KONA,  NT 32-215
Traverse City, Michigan

Sent from Mail for Windows

We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes.

Nathan
Carolena II
NT 32

Brush dust buildup is a frequent culprit in dc motor problems. Make a note to pull your bow thruster motor, clean out the accumulated dust, clean the commutator with 1000 grit wet or dry abrasive paper or crocus cloth, wipe clean with acetone or MEK, remove the glaze from the brushes with the abrasive paper, reinstall the brushes, making sure that they move smoothly in their holders, and you should be good for a couple or three years (or more). If you do indeed need new brushes, make sure that you make them from starter motor brushes and not generator or exciter brushes, as the graphite formulation is specific to the service. Harry Hungate Bessie. NT 32-238 PS. I serviced Bessie’s bow thruster shortly after purchase. I might add to write Pull for On on the red knob on the circuit breaker! > On Jul 10, 2022, at 5:51 PM, Don Conway <dandjconway@hotmail.com> wrote: > >  > Bow thruster epilogue. > > As previously reported, the bow thruster on KONA worked initially at the launch dock day on May 23. However, when pulling into the slip it gradually stopped working. Then I would only get a click when I pushed the joy stick. After making various readings with the multi-meter and not being able to confirm a diagnosis I did what any guy would do, I got the hammer. It worked. By tapping the solenoid, the thruster worked. . . for a short while and then only clicking. The process was repeatable: hammer, thruster worked until it didn’t. Since I was hitting the solenoid, I concluded that it was the problem. I replaced the solenoid, which by boat project standards was fairly easy. I pulled the motor to replace the solenoid since the boat did not have to be hauled out. > > The thruster worked for a while, then it stopped working in exactly the same way as before. Since the electric motor was easy to remove, I pulled the motor and took it to a local electrical shop. The culprit was the brushes, of which there are four. As can be found on other NT threads, the brushes for this particular motor (thruster model SP 55 S) are not made any more. The electrical shop contacted the local Side-Power service people and this was confirmed. I contacted Sleipner’s US headquarters in Massachusetts and was told the same thing. To replace the brushes, you have to have them “fabricated”. Which after talking to the local shop, it sounds like fabrication consists of buying brushes that are slightly larger than what is specified and sanding them down to size with very fine sand paper. Specs provided below. > > However, the guy at the shop said the original brushes in my motor were actually in decent shape and had plenty of service left. The brushes were getting stuck because dust had accumulated and was gunking up the works. He cleaned the brushes, said everything else looked to be in very good condition, and that the motor worked fine. I reinstalled the motor and it has been working well. In fact the thruster sounds better than ever (this is only my second season with this boat). At some point in an off-season I will pull the motor and “fabricate” new brushes. In the meantime, I feel fortunate to have a thruster that is working. . .for now. > > From my conversation with Ray at Sleipner Customer Services: > Original part # for brushes: SM Brush-03S (no longer available) > Dimensions: 19.75 mm x 9.1 mm x 25.4 mm > > Safe Travels > > Don Conway > KONA, NT 32-215 > Traverse City, Michigan > > > Sent from Mail for Windows > > From: Harry Hungate via Sentoa > Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2022 4:09 PM > To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) > Cc: Harry Hungate > Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Bow thruster > > Many of the larger electric motor rebuilding shops can make up a set of brushes for you, or try an auto parts store. You might be lucky and find a set of starter brushes that will fit after a bit of judicious filing and sanding. Note: starter brushes and not generator brushes as the composition is quite different. > > Harry Hungate > > > On May 29, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > If you have an older model, you may not be able to obtain parts (new brushes)? This is what I found when I tried to buy a spare set. Ours was 2002. > Tom Easterbrook > Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 > Nanaimo, BC > > From: Don Conway via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Sent: May 29, 2022 5:48 AM > To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Cc: Don Conway <dandjconway@hotmail.com> > Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Bow thruster > > Thanks Nathan. > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On May 29, 2022, at 8:32 AM, Nathan Dimock via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > > >  > > We had a similar problem that got worse over a few weeks until it completely stopped working. It was caused by worn brushes. > > > > Nathan > > Carolena II > > NT 32 > > _______________________________________________ > > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >