sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Solar Panel Wiring

hgamsby
Wed, Mar 22, 2023 8:14 PM

Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the cabin. ThanksHenry GamsbySent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the cabin. ThanksHenry GamsbySent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
HH
Harry Hungate
Wed, Mar 22, 2023 11:10 PM

Henry, we installed four 100Watt Renogy monocrystalline solar panels on our
NT 32.  Arranged in parallel/series to minimize IR losses to Renogy MPPT
solar controller.  Purchased from Amazon.  I tried to order direct from
Renogy, but they are almost impossible to deal with--could not give me a
shipping date, etc, etc.

I ran the wires under the fake "smokestack" and enlarged the hole into the
cable that contained the radar cable, stern/anchor light, and horn wires,
around the back of the pilot house, along the starboard cable tray in the
pilot house ceiling and down through the instrument panel into the engine
room.  I sealed the wires at the entry with Gardner-Bender
Duct-Seal--commonly called "monkey shit".  Always keep a block of it on
board.  You can seal your anchor chain hawse hole with it, too.  It's been
working fine since October 2020.

I mounted the four panels on the roof with plastic mounts, Sika-flexed to
the roof and stainless steel self-tapping screws through the panel frames
into the plastic mounting boxes.  That way I have no holes in the roof to
worry about.

Good luck,
Harry Hungate
Bessie NT 32-238

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM hgamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
wrote:

Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with
Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the
upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the
cabin. Thanks

Henry Gamsby

Henry, we installed four 100Watt Renogy monocrystalline solar panels on our NT 32. Arranged in parallel/series to minimize IR losses to Renogy MPPT solar controller. Purchased from Amazon. I tried to order direct from Renogy, but they are almost impossible to deal with--could not give me a shipping date, etc, etc. I ran the wires under the fake "smokestack" and enlarged the hole into the cable that contained the radar cable, stern/anchor light, and horn wires, around the back of the pilot house, along the starboard cable tray in the pilot house ceiling and down through the instrument panel into the engine room. I sealed the wires at the entry with Gardner-Bender Duct-Seal--commonly called "monkey shit". Always keep a block of it on board. You can seal your anchor chain hawse hole with it, too. It's been working fine since October 2020. I mounted the four panels on the roof with plastic mounts, Sika-flexed to the roof and stainless steel self-tapping screws through the panel frames into the plastic mounting boxes. That way I have no holes in the roof to worry about. Good luck, Harry Hungate Bessie NT 32-238 On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with > Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the > upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the > cabin. Thanks > > Henry Gamsby > > > > Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
FF
Fire Fighter
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 1:03 AM

I mounted 2 fairly large solar panels on the roof on my pilothouse (no flybridge) using stainless steel (SS) tubing mounted to the existing handrails. In this way, I too avoided adding any holes to the roof!!
I ran the wires to the starboard side roof overhang and drilled a hole for the wire to run under said overhang, running aft. The wiring entered the cabin through a hole (for me already existing) in the rear pilothouse wall near the stern facing window, and from there down into the kitchen cabinets behind the AC panel and down into the engine room following the existing wiring. I used clam shell fittings over both holes.
I have photos still of the setup, but it would be a bit different with a flybridge (I think).
Give me an email address and I will send photos.
Regards,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.orgmailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:
Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the cabin. Thanks

Henry Gamsby

I mounted 2 fairly large solar panels on the roof on my pilothouse (no flybridge) using stainless steel (SS) tubing mounted to the existing handrails. In this way, I too avoided adding any holes to the roof!! I ran the wires to the starboard side roof overhang and drilled a hole for the wire to run under said overhang, running aft. The wiring entered the cabin through a hole (for me already existing) in the rear pilothouse wall near the stern facing window, and from there down into the kitchen cabinets behind the AC panel and down into the engine room following the existing wiring. I used clam shell fittings over both holes. I have photos still of the setup, but it would be a bit different with a flybridge (I think). Give me an email address and I will send photos. Regards, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 ________________________________ From: Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: March 22, 2023 4:10 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: hgamsby <hgamsby@gmail.com>; Harry Hungate <wcx7106@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Solar Panel Wiring Henry, we installed four 100Watt Renogy monocrystalline solar panels on our NT 32. Arranged in parallel/series to minimize IR losses to Renogy MPPT solar controller. Purchased from Amazon. I tried to order direct from Renogy, but they are almost impossible to deal with--could not give me a shipping date, etc, etc. I ran the wires under the fake "smokestack" and enlarged the hole into the cable that contained the radar cable, stern/anchor light, and horn wires, around the back of the pilot house, along the starboard cable tray in the pilot house ceiling and down through the instrument panel into the engine room. I sealed the wires at the entry with Gardner-Bender Duct-Seal--commonly called "monkey shit". Always keep a block of it on board. You can seal your anchor chain hawse hole with it, too. It's been working fine since October 2020. I mounted the four panels on the roof with plastic mounts, Sika-flexed to the roof and stainless steel self-tapping screws through the panel frames into the plastic mounting boxes. That way I have no holes in the roof to worry about. Good luck, Harry Hungate Bessie NT 32-238 On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org>> wrote: Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the cabin. Thanks Henry Gamsby Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org>
HV
Hank Visser
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 1:55 AM

I’m the new owner of that 37 and the system works very well and is a great system In 2 years hardly use the generator

Regards Henk

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 22, 2023, at 6:04 PM, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:

[...]

PT
Paul Tangen
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 2:24 AM

That’s great to hear. How many watts of solar panels do you have?

Paul
Greta Marie NT 32-248

On Mar 22, 2023, at 9:55 PM, Hank Visser via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

That’s great to hear. How many watts of solar panels do you have? Paul Greta Marie NT 32-248 > On Mar 22, 2023, at 9:55 PM, Hank Visser via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > I’m the new owner of that 37 and the system works very well and is a great system > In 2 years hardly use the generator > Regards Henk > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On Mar 22, 2023, at 6:04 PM, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >> >>  >> I mounted 2 fairly large solar panels on the roof on my pilothouse (no flybridge) using stainless steel (SS) tubing mounted to the existing handrails. In this way, I too avoided adding any holes to the roof!! >> I ran the wires to the starboard side roof overhang and drilled a hole for the wire to run under said overhang, running aft. The wiring entered the cabin through a hole (for me already existing) in the rear pilothouse wall near the stern facing window, and from there down into the kitchen cabinets behind the AC panel and down into the engine room following the existing wiring. I used clam shell fittings over both holes. >> I have photos still of the setup, but it would be a bit different with a flybridge (I think). >> Give me an email address and I will send photos. >> Regards, >> Tom Easterbrook >> formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 >> From: Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> >> Sent: March 22, 2023 4:10 PM >> To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> >> Cc: hgamsby <hgamsby@gmail.com>; Harry Hungate <wcx7106@gmail.com> >> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Solar Panel Wiring >> >> Henry, we installed four 100Watt Renogy monocrystalline solar panels on our NT 32. Arranged in parallel/series to minimize IR losses to Renogy MPPT solar controller. Purchased from Amazon. I tried to order direct from Renogy, but they are almost impossible to deal with--could not give me a shipping date, etc, etc. >> >> I ran the wires under the fake "smokestack" and enlarged the hole into the cable that contained the radar cable, stern/anchor light, and horn wires, around the back of the pilot house, along the starboard cable tray in the pilot house ceiling and down through the instrument panel into the engine room. I sealed the wires at the entry with Gardner-Bender Duct-Seal--commonly called "monkey shit". Always keep a block of it on board. You can seal your anchor chain hawse hole with it, too. It's been working fine since October 2020. >> >> I mounted the four panels on the roof with plastic mounts, Sika-flexed to the roof and stainless steel self-tapping screws through the panel frames into the plastic mounting boxes. That way I have no holes in the roof to worry about. >> >> Good luck, >> Harry Hungate >> Bessie NT 32-238 >> >> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org>> wrote: >> Looking to install a 220W solar panel on upper deck of NT37 with Flybridge. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they went thru the upper deck into the starboard wiring channel behind the valance in the cabin. Thanks >> >> Henry Gamsby >> >> >> >> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org> >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
DC
David Cheyette
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 2:00 PM

Hello all NT Solar users!

Curious as to how you are heating your hot water tanks while you are at anchor for more than a day.  Are you still running your generators daily for that?

David
Maisy NT37-100

Hello all NT Solar users! Curious as to how you are heating your hot water tanks while you are at anchor for more than a day. Are you still running your generators daily for that? David Maisy NT37-100
SH
stephen.h.hill@gmail.com
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 2:33 PM

Sadly, yes. Some NT owners have enough solar to briefly turn on their hot water heater and run off their batteries. We only have 500 watts, enough to cover everything else but not hot water.

Best wishes
Stephen Hill
NT37-199
Tug’n

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2023, at 10:00 AM, David Cheyette via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Hello all NT Solar users!

Curious as to how you are heating your hot water tanks while you are at anchor for more than a day.  Are you still running your generators daily for that?

David
Maisy NT37-100

Sadly, yes. Some NT owners have enough solar to briefly turn on their hot water heater and run off their batteries. We only have 500 watts, enough to cover everything else but not hot water. Best wishes Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 23, 2023, at 10:00 AM, David Cheyette via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > Hello all NT Solar users! > > Curious as to how you are heating your hot water tanks while you are at anchor for more than a day. Are you still running your generators daily for that? > > David > Maisy NT37-100 > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
FF
Fire Fighter
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 4:06 PM

Hi David,
My wife and I used to anchor out often, sometimes for 4-5 days at one spot. We used the generator to heat the water when we wanted a shower, but often just heated a pot on the stove for dish washing. So, for 5 days at anchor, we only ran the generator once. By then, "other things" would be "full" and needed to be dealt with. On almost all days (except heavy cloud or fog) our solar got our batteries back to a full 100% daily.
Tom
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068