Re: [Sentoa] Water heater on NT 32

TD
thierry.danz@earthlink.net
Mon, Oct 22, 2012 7:04 PM

----- Forwarded message -----

John,

I followed your advice and now have great access to the water heater and, as  an additional bonus, also to the pressure water pump and the deck wash pump. Nordic Tug should incorporate this as a standard feature. Thanks for giving me the courage to "destroy" part of the furniture!
Thierry

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone ----- Reply message -----
From: "John Baczek" dabjeb@sbcglobal.net
To: "SENTOA List" sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
Subject: [Sentoa] Water heater on NT 32
Date: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 09:51

Thierry,
The Force 10 water heater on our NT32 started leaking after the first year.  The leak was fresh water leaking from the 2 in/out connectors from the heat exchanger.  As you stated, to replace the heater, you have to remove batteries, and more problematic, the support brackets for the exhaust riser.
What I ended up doing is to cut an access panel in the top of settee platform directly above the heater, slightly larger than the heater.  I replaced the heater with the Kuuma Force 10, now is use for 6 years.  I didn't get fancy with the panel.  Once the heater was re-installed, I simply put a panel of foam insulation on top of the heater, laid the FB panel on top of the insulation and taped down the panel with
plastic duct tape.  Future heater replacements now become nothing more than selecting a similar style heater (exchanger in and out + 110 volt) that fits through the access panel.
John BaczekPuffin, NT32-266Watch Hill RI

----- Forwarded message ----- John, I followed your advice and now have great access to the water heater and, as an additional bonus, also to the pressure water pump and the deck wash pump. Nordic Tug should incorporate this as a standard feature. Thanks for giving me the courage to "destroy" part of the furniture! Thierry Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone ----- Reply message ----- From: "John Baczek" <dabjeb@sbcglobal.net> To: "SENTOA List" <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Subject: [Sentoa] Water heater on NT 32 Date: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 09:51 Thierry, The Force 10 water heater on our NT32 started leaking after the first year. The leak was fresh water leaking from the 2 in/out connectors from the heat exchanger. As you stated, to replace the heater, you have to remove batteries, and more problematic, the support brackets for the exhaust riser. What I ended up doing is to cut an access panel in the top of settee platform directly above the heater, slightly larger than the heater. I replaced the heater with the Kuuma Force 10, now is use for 6 years. I didn't get fancy with the panel. Once the heater was re-installed, I simply put a panel of foam insulation on top of the heater, laid the FB panel on top of the insulation and taped down the panel with plastic duct tape. Future heater replacements now become nothing more than selecting a similar style heater (exchanger in and out + 110 volt) that fits through the access panel. John BaczekPuffin, NT32-266Watch Hill RI
RN
Richard Nye
Mon, Oct 22, 2012 7:08 PM

Thierry,

Can you supply pictures?  I¹m thinking of cutting an access hole too.

Thanks,
Richard Nye

On 10/22/12 12:04 PM, "thierry.danz@earthlink.net"

[...]

Sentoa mailing list
Sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

Thierry, Can you supply pictures? I¹m thinking of cutting an access hole too. Thanks, Richard Nye On 10/22/12 12:04 PM, "thierry.danz@earthlink.net" <thierry.danz@earthlink.net> wrote: > ----- Forwarded message ----- > > > > > > > > John, I followed your advice and now have great access to the water heater > and, as an additional bonus, also to the pressure water pump and the deck > wash pump. Nordic Tug should incorporate this as a standard feature. Thanks > for giving me the courage to "destroy" part of the furniture! > > Thierry > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone > ----- Reply message ----- > From: "John Baczek" <dabjeb@sbcglobal.net> > To: "SENTOA List" <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Subject: [Sentoa] Water heater on NT 32 > Date: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 09:51 > > Thierry, > > The Force 10 water heater on our NT32 started leaking after the first year. > The leak was fresh water leaking from the 2 in/out connectors from the heat > exchanger. As you stated, to replace the heater, you have to remove > batteries, and more problematic, the support brackets for the exhaust riser. > > What I ended up doing is to cut an access panel in the top of settee platform > directly above the heater, slightly larger than the heater. I replaced the > heater with the Kuuma Force 10, now is use for 6 years. I didn't get fancy > with the panel. Once the heater was re-installed, I simply put a panel of > foam insulation on top of the heater, laid the FB panel on top of the > insulation and taped down the panel with plastic duct tape. Future heater > replacements now become nothing more than selecting a similar style heater > (exchanger in and out + 110 volt) that fits through the access panel. > > John Baczek > Puffin, NT32-266 > Watch Hill RI > > > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list > Sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > http://lists.sentoa.org/mailman/listinfo/sentoa_lists.sentoa.org
ptangen@ptangen.com
Fri, Dec 29, 2023 11:33 PM

I just replaced the water heater on my NT32. Removing the start battery from the battery box was the most difficult part, it’s 125lbs. Otherwise, the job went smoothly. Clamps on the engine coolant lines minimized leakage when they were disconnected. The water heater just barely fit under the exhaust pipe, but it did fit so the heater could be removed from the engine compartment. The exhaust support arm did need to be moved out of the way. It’s nice to fix that leak.

Paul Tangen, NT32-248

I just replaced the water heater on my NT32. Removing the start battery from the battery box was the most difficult part, it’s 125lbs. Otherwise, the job went smoothly. Clamps on the engine coolant lines minimized leakage when they were disconnected. The water heater just barely fit under the exhaust pipe, but it did fit so the heater could be removed from the engine compartment. The exhaust support arm did need to be moved out of the way. It’s nice to fix that leak. Paul Tangen, NT32-248
TP
Tom Patterson
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 12:52 AM

re: Water heater life, do you know if this was the original water heater?

~Tom - NT 32-251

On Dec 29, 2023, at 15:33, ptangen--- via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

I just replaced the water heater on my NT32. Removing the start battery from the battery box was the most difficult part, it’s 125lbs. Otherwise, the job went smoothly. Clamps on the engine coolant lines minimized leakage when they were disconnected. The water heater just barely fit under the exhaust pipe, but it did fit so the heater could be removed from the engine compartment. The exhaust support arm did need to be moved out of the way. It’s nice to fix that leak.

Paul Tangen, NT32-248

re: Water heater life, do you know if this was the original water heater? ~Tom - NT 32-251 > On Dec 29, 2023, at 15:33, ptangen--- via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > I just replaced the water heater on my NT32. Removing the start battery from the battery box was the most difficult part, it’s 125lbs. Otherwise, the job went smoothly. Clamps on the engine coolant lines minimized leakage when they were disconnected. The water heater just barely fit under the exhaust pipe, but it did fit so the heater could be removed from the engine compartment. The exhaust support arm did need to be moved out of the way. It’s nice to fix that leak. > > Paul Tangen, NT32-248 > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
PT
Paul Tangen
Sat, Dec 30, 2023 1:40 PM

Yes, I think it was. It lasted 18 years. That's fantastic. Hopefully, the new one will last a while, too.

Paul
NT 32-248

Yes, I think it was. It lasted 18 years. That's fantastic. Hopefully, the new one will last a while, too. Paul NT 32-248 > On Dec 29, 2023, at 7:52 PM, Tom Patterson <tpatterson888@gmail.com> wrote: > > re: Water heater life, do you know if this was the original water heater? > > ~Tom - NT 32-251 > >>> On Dec 29, 2023, at 15:33, ptangen--- via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >>> >>  >> I just replaced the water heater on my NT32. Removing the start battery from the battery box was the most difficult part, it’s 125lbs. Otherwise, the job went smoothly. Clamps on the engine coolant lines minimized leakage when they were disconnected. The water heater just barely fit under the exhaust pipe, but it did fit so the heater could be removed from the engine compartment. The exhaust support arm did need to be moved out of the way. It’s nice to fix that leak. >> >> Paul Tangen, NT32-248 >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org