sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Coolant leak

NM
Nancy M. Taylor
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 5:22 AM

While underway tonight, our engine temp buzzer came on. We shut down the engine immediately, opened engine compartment and noticed all the radiator fluid was pooled on the bottom of the hull. Anyone experience this or have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?
Thank you,
Nancy and Trent

Sent from my iPhone

While underway tonight, our engine temp buzzer came on. We shut down the engine immediately, opened engine compartment and noticed all the radiator fluid was pooled on the bottom of the hull. Anyone experience this or have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thank you, Nancy and Trent Sent from my iPhone
FC
Fog Cutter Maritime
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 5:46 AM

If you have a buss heater located under the steps going forward to the
stateroom, Check there. That radiator can fail and leak ALL the coolant
into the bilge.

On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 22:22 Nancy M. Taylor via Sentoa <
sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:

While underway tonight, our engine temp buzzer came on. We shut down the
engine immediately, opened engine compartment and noticed all the radiator
fluid was pooled on the bottom of the hull. Anyone experience this or have
any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?
Thank you,
Nancy and Trent

Sent from my iPhone

If you have a buss heater located under the steps going forward to the stateroom, Check there. That radiator can fail and leak ALL the coolant into the bilge. On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 22:22 Nancy M. Taylor via Sentoa < sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > While underway tonight, our engine temp buzzer came on. We shut down the > engine immediately, opened engine compartment and noticed all the radiator > fluid was pooled on the bottom of the hull. Anyone experience this or have > any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? > Thank you, > Nancy and Trent > > Sent from my iPhone > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
ES
Eric Swanson
Sun, Dec 10, 2023 12:19 PM

Anti freeze evaporates slowly and leaves oily residue. I would start by running my hand around all hoses/connections under thermostat, coolant pump areas, following lines to, from and around heater and water heater. If that fails I would refill, bleed air and check again, then restart and watch all above. If sudden loss I would suspect hose or pump failure first though.
Eric Swanson
NT 32-258 Gone Remote