sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Leaking hot water safety release valve

LT
Lee Tuthill
Mon, Aug 30, 2021 12:55 AM

I was wondering if others have had seepage from their hot water safety relief valve, particularly if running at relatively high RPM.  There is not a lot, but in say a four hour run, we’ll get a good cup of water into the bilge.  Any suggestions for a fix other than replacing the valve?  I had the same situation at home with an electric water heater and a new relief valve still leaked from time to time.

Thanks,

Lee Tuthill
Encore, NT-37 #190

I was wondering if others have had seepage from their hot water safety relief valve, particularly if running at relatively high RPM. There is not a lot, but in say a four hour run, we’ll get a good cup of water into the bilge. Any suggestions for a fix other than replacing the valve? I had the same situation at home with an electric water heater and a new relief valve still leaked from time to time. Thanks, Lee Tuthill Encore, NT-37 #190
FF
Fire Fighter
Mon, Aug 30, 2021 1:30 AM

Lee,
As you are probably aware, this valve is designed to relief pressure, and running long periods at high RPM could lead to high(er) temperatures. A cup of water is not a lot of water. Personally, I would just put up with it, but keep an eye on it. You are correct, replacing the valve does not guarantee any change??
Good luck,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068