sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

vinyl cleaner

CF
Craig FILLMANN
Wed, Aug 4, 2021 1:18 PM

Again, how do I remove the stickiness?  tried 3m cleaner (professionaly),
and the stickiness returned within two weeks.

Craig Fillmann
Fog Dog  057-42

Again, how do I remove the stickiness? tried 3m cleaner (professionaly), and the stickiness returned within two weeks. Craig Fillmann Fog Dog 057-42
FF
Fire Fighter
Wed, Aug 4, 2021 5:49 PM

From the info here, (professionally cleaned with a good product) replacement maybe the only "real" answer? I don't know where you are located, but it could be an "enviroment" issue. My Tug was 19 years old, and no "stickiness" at all.
Tom Easterbrook
Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

Again, how do I remove the stickiness?  tried 3m cleaner (professionaly), and the stickiness returned within two weeks.

Craig Fillmann
Fog Dog  057-42

From the info here, (professionally cleaned with a good product) replacement maybe the only "real" answer? I don't know where you are located, but it could be an "enviroment" issue. My Tug was 19 years old, and no "stickiness" at all. Tom Easterbrook Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Craig FILLMANN via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: August 4, 2021 6:18 AM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Craig FILLMANN <wcraigfillmann@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] vinyl cleaner Again, how do I remove the stickiness? tried 3m cleaner (professionaly), and the stickiness returned within two weeks. Craig Fillmann Fog Dog 057-42
MM
Megan Milan
Fri, Aug 6, 2021 3:32 AM

I have that stickiness Craig. From FL to MD - no change x still sticky.
It’s bizarre and I can’t figure it out or how to get rid of it.

Megan
Nordic Tug “Sweets”

--
Megan Milan

I have that stickiness Craig. From FL to MD - no change x still sticky. It’s bizarre and I can’t figure it out or how to get rid of it. Megan Nordic Tug “Sweets” On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 9:18 AM Craig FILLMANN via Sentoa < sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > Again, how do I remove the stickiness? tried 3m cleaner (professionaly), > and the stickiness returned within two weeks. > > Craig Fillmann > Fog Dog 057-42 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > -- Megan Milan
WB
Warren Belkin
Fri, Aug 6, 2021 4:46 AM

Stickiness is usually due to plasticizers leaching out of the vinyl.

The best product I have found for cleaning this is SEM Soap - it is made
for this purpose and has a mild abrasive.  You use a scrub pad and remove
residue with a damp cloth.
See  https://www.semproducts.com/product/sem-soap/soap

Depending on the severity or if it reoccurs, I am told the only real remedy
is to coat the vinyl.  SEM makes a system to do this - think painting the
vinyl with a special flexible coating made for this purpose.  It involves
pretty smelly products tho - need a good respirator.

After cleaning with SEM Soap, a stronger cleaner prior to coating which
also softens the material for refinishing:
https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-prep
This blocks stickiness: https://www.semproducts.com/product/tac-free
This a color coat for Vinyl:
https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-coattm
Another range of color coating - including a clear:
https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Megan Milan via Sentoa <
sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:

I have that stickiness Craig. From FL to MD - no change x still sticky.
It’s bizarre and I can’t figure it out or how to get rid of it.

Megan
Nordic Tug “Sweets”

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 9:18 AM Craig FILLMANN via Sentoa <
sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:

Again, how do I remove the stickiness?  tried 3m cleaner (professionaly),
and the stickiness returned within two weeks.

Craig Fillmann
Fog Dog  057-42

--
Megan Milan

Stickiness is usually due to plasticizers leaching out of the vinyl. The best product I have found for cleaning this is SEM Soap - it is made for this purpose and has a mild abrasive. You use a scrub pad and remove residue with a damp cloth. See https://www.semproducts.com/product/sem-soap/soap Depending on the severity or if it reoccurs, I am told the only real remedy is to coat the vinyl. SEM makes a system to do this - think painting the vinyl with a special flexible coating made for this purpose. It involves pretty smelly products tho - need a good respirator. After cleaning with SEM Soap, a stronger cleaner prior to coating which also softens the material for refinishing: https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-prep This blocks stickiness: https://www.semproducts.com/product/tac-free This a color coat for Vinyl: https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-coattm Another range of color coating - including a clear: https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Megan Milan via Sentoa < sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > I have that stickiness Craig. From FL to MD - no change x still sticky. > It’s bizarre and I can’t figure it out or how to get rid of it. > > Megan > Nordic Tug “Sweets” > > On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 9:18 AM Craig FILLMANN via Sentoa < > sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >> Again, how do I remove the stickiness? tried 3m cleaner (professionaly), >> and the stickiness returned within two weeks. >> >> Craig Fillmann >> Fog Dog 057-42 >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >> > -- > Megan Milan > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
HH
Harry Hungate
Fri, Aug 6, 2021 11:35 AM

While on this subject of removing the stickiness on vinyl, please be advised that the 3M adhesive remover contains propane as the propellant!  The propane makes this product extremely dangerous to use within the confines of your vessel.

Harry Hungate
Bessie
NT 32-238

On Aug 6, 2021, at 12:47 AM, Warren Belkin via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

While on this subject of removing the stickiness on vinyl, please be advised that the 3M adhesive remover contains propane as the propellant! The propane makes this product extremely dangerous to use within the confines of your vessel. Harry Hungate Bessie NT 32-238 > On Aug 6, 2021, at 12:47 AM, Warren Belkin via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > Stickiness is usually due to plasticizers leaching out of the vinyl. > > The best product I have found for cleaning this is SEM Soap - it is made for this purpose and has a mild abrasive. You use a scrub pad and remove residue with a damp cloth. > See https://www.semproducts.com/product/sem-soap/soap > > Depending on the severity or if it reoccurs, I am told the only real remedy is to coat the vinyl. SEM makes a system to do this - think painting the vinyl with a special flexible coating made for this purpose. It involves pretty smelly products tho - need a good respirator. > > After cleaning with SEM Soap, a stronger cleaner prior to coating which also softens the material for refinishing: https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-prep > This blocks stickiness: https://www.semproducts.com/product/tac-free > This a color coat for Vinyl: https://www.semproducts.com/product/vinyl-coattm > Another range of color coating - including a clear: https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols > > > >> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Megan Milan via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >> I have that stickiness Craig. From FL to MD - no change x still sticky. It’s bizarre and I can’t figure it out or how to get rid of it. >> >> Megan >> Nordic Tug “Sweets” >> >>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 9:18 AM Craig FILLMANN via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >>> Again, how do I remove the stickiness? tried 3m cleaner (professionaly), and the stickiness returned within two weeks. >>> >>> Craig Fillmann >>> Fog Dog 057-42 >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >> -- >> Megan Milan >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
GF
Gene Fuller
Fri, Aug 6, 2021 1:29 PM

3M makes lots of adhesive removers, some liquid and some aerosol.

Since the phase-out of freons many aerosol products contain flammable
propellents.

The real safety issue with most of these products comes from the strong
solvents used, not the propellent.

Use with good ventilation.

Gene Fuller
Yorkshire Rose
NT 37-136

On 8/6/2021 7:35 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa wrote:

While on this subject of removing the stickiness on vinyl, please be
advised that the 3M adhesive remover contains propane as the propellant!
 The propane makes this product extremely dangerous to use within the
confines of your vessel.

Harry Hungate
Bessie
NT 32-238

3M makes lots of adhesive removers, some liquid and some aerosol. Since the phase-out of freons many aerosol products contain flammable propellents. The real safety issue with most of these products comes from the strong solvents used, not the propellent. Use with good ventilation. Gene Fuller Yorkshire Rose NT 37-136 On 8/6/2021 7:35 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa wrote: > While on this subject of removing the stickiness on vinyl, please be > advised that the 3M adhesive remover contains propane as the propellant! >  The propane makes this product extremely dangerous to use within the > confines of your vessel. > > Harry Hungate > Bessie > NT 32-238 >