sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Singlehanded docking

TP
Thomas Parrent
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 1:29 AM

Doing some armchair boating while waiting for my closing on  a 2009 NT 37.

I have a 40 foot slip, port side tie-up. To leave the slip, I would back out to starboard and then head out the fairway. Prevailing wind pushes me away from the finger pier. I know that prop walk would tend to pull the stern in the direction I need it to move but there's one more complication. There is little room to back out because I'm the second boat from the face dock (so my slipmate is right on the main dock).

Would you still come in bow first or would you back in? It seems like backing in would allow me to use prop wash to nudge the stern against the dock (and against the prevailing wind) when docking. Leaving the slip would involve sticking the bow out and then giving a nudge on the thruster to push the bow through any wind that might be fighting it.

Downside is I have not backed large boats in before and the beautiful Sabre next to me in the slip doesn't want to be part of my learning curve!

I’m almost always singlehanding so the usual advice about using spring lines does not apply (unless I could handle them entirely on board and very close to the helm)

My marina has dock attendants so that helps when they are around but I like to go out often at sunrise so I really need to figure out singlehanded ways of handling everything.

Thanks for any tips!

[...]
EE
Evan Effa
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 3:30 AM

I would back into the slip for a starboard tie.

(& consider getting a stern thruster installed.)

-evan
NT 37-148
Tugaway

Sent from my iPhone
(please excuse the typos...)

On Jul 6, 2021, at 18:30, Thomas Parrent via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

I would back into the slip for a starboard tie. (& consider getting a stern thruster installed.) -evan NT 37-148 Tugaway Sent from my iPhone (please excuse the typos...) > On Jul 6, 2021, at 18:30, Thomas Parrent via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > Doing some armchair boating while waiting for my closing on a 2009 NT 37. > > I have a 40 foot slip, port side tie-up. To leave the slip, I would back out to starboard and then head out the fairway. Prevailing wind pushes me away from the finger pier. I know that prop walk would tend to pull the stern in the direction I need it to move but there's one more complication. There is little room to back out because I'm the second boat from the face dock (so my slipmate is right on the main dock). > > Would you still come in bow first or would you back in? It seems like backing in would allow me to use prop wash to nudge the stern against the dock (and against the prevailing wind) when docking. Leaving the slip would involve sticking the bow out and then giving a nudge on the thruster to push the bow through any wind that might be fighting it. > > Downside is I have not backed large boats in before and the beautiful Sabre next to me in the slip doesn't want to be part of my learning curve! > > I’m almost always singlehanding so the usual advice about using spring lines does not apply (unless I could handle them entirely on board and very close to the helm) > > My marina has dock attendants so that helps when they are around but I like to go out often at sunrise so I really need to figure out singlehanded ways of handling everything. > > Thanks for any tips! > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
FF
Fire Fighter
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 4:46 AM

Thomas,
I highly recommend getting some hands on lessons in boat handling on board your boat in that marina. The NT 37 has starboard prop walk, so most of us like to dock starboard side to the dock. Your slip with the wind direction you describe sounds like it could be a bit challenging, especially for a single hander. I also suggest installing a stern thruster if your new (to you) boat does not have one.
Good luck,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

[...]

Thomas, I highly recommend getting some hands on lessons in boat handling on board your boat in that marina. The NT 37 has starboard prop walk, so most of us like to dock starboard side to the dock. Your slip with the wind direction you describe sounds like it could be a bit challenging, especially for a single hander. I also suggest installing a stern thruster if your new (to you) boat does not have one. Good luck, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Thomas Parrent via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: July 6, 2021 6:29 PM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Thomas Parrent <tparrent88@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Singlehanded docking Doing some armchair boating while waiting for my closing on a 2009 NT 37. I have a 40 foot slip, port side tie-up. To leave the slip, I would back out to starboard and then head out the fairway. Prevailing wind pushes me away from the finger pier. I know that prop walk would tend to pull the stern in the direction I need it to move but there's one more complication. There is little room to back out because I'm the second boat from the face dock (so my slipmate is right on the main dock). Would you still come in bow first or would you back in? It seems like backing in would allow me to use prop wash to nudge the stern against the dock (and against the prevailing wind) when docking. Leaving the slip would involve sticking the bow out and then giving a nudge on the thruster to push the bow through any wind that might be fighting it. Downside is I have not backed large boats in before and the beautiful Sabre next to me in the slip doesn't want to be part of my learning curve! I’m almost always singlehanding so the usual advice about using spring lines does not apply (unless I could handle them entirely on board and very close to the helm) My marina has dock attendants so that helps when they are around but I like to go out often at sunrise so I really need to figure out singlehanded ways of handling everything. Thanks for any tips! _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
mmcb396317
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 2:03 PM

Hi Thomas I have a 37ft with flybridge and often single hand; back in everytime you have better control and I wouldn't bother with a stern thruster. Best regards Mike McBryde Kismet NT 37 -158.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Thomas Parrent via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org Date: 2021-07-06  6:29 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org Cc: Thomas Parrent tparrent88@gmail.com Subject: [Sentoa] Singlehanded docking Doing some armchair boating while waiting for my closing on  a 2009 NT 37.I have a 40 foot slip, port side tie-up. To leave the slip, I would back out to starboard and then head out the fairway. Prevailing wind pushes me away from the finger pier. I know that prop walk would tend to pull the stern in the direction I need it to move but there's one more complication. There is little room to back out because I'm the second boat from the face dock (so my slipmate is right on the main dock).Would you still come in bow first or would you back in? It seems like backing in would allow me to use prop wash to nudge the stern against the dock (and against the prevailing wind) when docking. Leaving the slip would involve sticking the bow out and then giving a nudge on the thruster to push the bow through any wind that might be fighting it. Downside is I have not backed large boats in before and the beautiful Sabre next to me in the slip doesn't want to be part of my learning curve! I’m almost always singlehanding so the usual advice about using spring lines does not apply (unless I could handle them entirely on board and very close to the helm)My marina has dock attendants so that helps when they are around but I like to go out often at sunrise so I really need to figure out singlehanded ways of handling everything. Thanks for any tips!_______________________________________________Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.orgTo unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org

[...]
DA
dave aas
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 2:22 PM

Although a stern thruster is nice the bow thruster works quite well for
backing. Set your rudder midship and use the bow thruster to swing the boat
port or starboard as necessary to control backing. After a few times it
becomes quite easy and can be done in stronger winds also.

Dave Aas
Salish Star
NT 44-125

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:03 AM mmcb396317 via Sentoa <
[...]

Although a stern thruster is nice the bow thruster works quite well for backing. Set your rudder midship and use the bow thruster to swing the boat port or starboard as necessary to control backing. After a few times it becomes quite easy and can be done in stronger winds also. Dave Aas Salish Star NT 44-125 On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:03 AM mmcb396317 via Sentoa < sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > Hi Thomas > I have a 37ft with flybridge and often single hand; back in everytime you > have better control and I wouldn't bother with a stern thruster. > Best regards Mike McBryde > Kismet NT 37 -158. > > > > > Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone. > > -------- Original message -------- > From: Thomas Parrent via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Date: 2021-07-06 6:29 PM (GMT-08:00) > To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > Cc: Thomas Parrent <tparrent88@gmail.com> > Subject: [Sentoa] Singlehanded docking > > Doing some armchair boating while waiting for my closing on a 2009 NT 37. > > I have a 40 foot slip, port side tie-up. To leave the slip, I would back > out to starboard and then head out the fairway. Prevailing wind pushes me > away from the finger pier. I know that prop walk would tend to pull the > stern in the direction I need it to move but there's one more complication. > There is little room to back out because I'm the second boat from the face > dock (so my slipmate is right on the main dock). > > Would you still come in bow first or would you back in? It seems like > backing in would allow me to use prop wash to nudge the stern against the > dock (and against the prevailing wind) when docking. Leaving the slip would > involve sticking the bow out and then giving a nudge on the thruster to > push the bow through any wind that might be fighting it. > > Downside is I have not backed large boats in before and the beautiful > Sabre next to me in the slip doesn't want to be part of my learning curve! > > I’m almost always singlehanding so the usual advice about using spring > lines does not apply (unless I could handle them entirely on board and very > close to the helm) > > My marina has dock attendants so that helps when they are around but I > like to go out often at sunrise so I really need to figure out singlehanded > ways of handling everything. > > Thanks for any tips! > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
GF
Gene Fuller
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 2:32 PM

Something I learned, perhaps on the forum, is that keeping the rudder
hard to starboard works very well for backing. The prop walk moves the
stern to starboard, but at idle the movement is relatively small. At the
same time a brief switch to forward gear, still at idle, fairly strongly
kicks the stern to port.

This combination along with bow thruster steering allows very good
control of the position and direction when backing, all without a stern
thruster.

Any docking maneuver should be done at idle speed.

Of course if one is trying this with 20 kt crosswinds it might be a bit
more exciting.

Gene Fuller
Yorkshire Rose
NT 37-136

On 7/7/2021 10:22 AM, dave aas via Sentoa wrote:

Although a stern thruster is nice the bow thruster works quite well for
backing. Set your rudder midship and use the bow thruster to swing the
boat port or starboard as necessary to control backing. After a few
times it becomes quite easy and can be done in stronger winds also.

Dave Aas
Salish Star
NT 44-125

Something I learned, perhaps on the forum, is that keeping the rudder hard to starboard works very well for backing. The prop walk moves the stern to starboard, but at idle the movement is relatively small. At the same time a brief switch to forward gear, still at idle, fairly strongly kicks the stern to port. This combination along with bow thruster steering allows very good control of the position and direction when backing, all without a stern thruster. Any docking maneuver should be done at idle speed. Of course if one is trying this with 20 kt crosswinds it might be a bit more exciting. Gene Fuller Yorkshire Rose NT 37-136 On 7/7/2021 10:22 AM, dave aas via Sentoa wrote: > Although a stern thruster is nice the bow thruster works quite well for > backing. Set your rudder midship and use the bow thruster to swing the > boat port or starboard as necessary to control backing. After a few > times it becomes quite easy and can be done in stronger winds also. > > Dave Aas > Salish Star > NT 44-125