View all threads

Impeller install in SBMar SMX Raw Water Pump on NT37

hgamsby
Tue, Apr 23, 2024 6:37 PM

I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further.  Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? ThanksHenryLyraNT37 FAIRHAVEN MASent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

SN
Scott Nowak
Tue, Apr 23, 2024 6:47 PM

Put dish soap on it.  twist & push at the same time.    Another shortcut:    wrap a small line around it, then put it in & remove line.    Lots of soap on spline & inside impeller.

Scott
Ex owner MV Whispering Sea

From: hgamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2024 2:37 PM
To: sentoa@lists sentoa. org sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
Cc: hgamsby hgamsby@gmail.com
Subject: [Sentoa] Impeller install in SBMar SMX Raw Water Pump on NT37

I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further.  Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks

Henry
Lyra
NT37
FAIRHAVEN MA

Put dish soap on it. twist & push at the same time. Another shortcut: wrap a small line around it, then put it in & remove line. Lots of soap on spline & inside impeller. Scott Ex owner MV Whispering Sea ________________________________ From: hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2024 2:37 PM To: sentoa@lists sentoa. org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: hgamsby <hgamsby@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Impeller install in SBMar SMX Raw Water Pump on NT37 I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further. Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks Henry Lyra NT37 FAIRHAVEN MA Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
HH
Harry Hungate
Tue, Apr 23, 2024 7:00 PM

First of all, make sure that you have the correct impeller!  Compare it to your old impeller to make sure.

Compress the new impeller with a hose clamp so that it will slide more easily into the water pump cavity.  Use dish soap or KY on the impeller to lubricate it--neither will damage the impeller material.  If there is a key on the shaft, make sure that it is fully seated or else the impeller will not slide onto the shaft.  Good luck!
Harry Hungate

On Apr 23, 2024, at 2:37 PM, hgamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further.  Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks

Henry
Lyra
NT37
FAIRHAVEN MA

First of all, make sure that you have the correct impeller! Compare it to your old impeller to make sure. Compress the new impeller with a hose clamp so that it will slide more easily into the water pump cavity. Use dish soap or KY on the impeller to lubricate it--neither will damage the impeller material. If there is a key on the shaft, make sure that it is fully seated or else the impeller will not slide onto the shaft. Good luck! Harry Hungate > On Apr 23, 2024, at 2:37 PM, hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further. Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks > > Henry > Lyra > NT37 > FAIRHAVEN MA > > > > Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
EE
Evan Effa
Tue, Apr 23, 2024 7:04 PM

Zip ties also work well to compress the splines… + dish soap and holding your tongue in just the right place… ;-)

-Evan
TUGAWAY
37-148

On Apr 23, 2024, at 12:00, Harry Hungate via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

Zip ties also work well to compress the splines… + dish soap and holding your tongue in just the right place… ;-) -Evan TUGAWAY 37-148 > On Apr 23, 2024, at 12:00, Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > First of all, make sure that you have the correct impeller! Compare it to your old impeller to make sure. > > Compress the new impeller with a hose clamp so that it will slide more easily into the water pump cavity. Use dish soap or KY on the impeller to lubricate it--neither will damage the impeller material. If there is a key on the shaft, make sure that it is fully seated or else the impeller will not slide onto the shaft. Good luck! > Harry Hungate > >> On Apr 23, 2024, at 2:37 PM, hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >> >>  >> I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further. Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks >> >> Henry >> Lyra >> NT37 >> FAIRHAVEN MA >> >> >> >> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
RC
Richard Cook
Tue, Apr 23, 2024 9:08 PM

I always had a hard time with my SMX, but have learned a method that works
pretty well:

Put a little dish soap or silicone grease on the inside of the pump, not on
the impeller. When I greased the impeller it became too slippery, and zip
ties would Slide off before I wanted the to.

Put two zip ties on impeller, squeezing it tight enough that the vanes fit
into the housing.

Slide it in. Mine always comes to a stop about halfway in. Push as hard as
you can, but often it just won't go.

Give the starter a very brief bump. This will turn the shaft a wee bit so
the splines line up.

Slide impeller in the rest of the way, sliding the zip ties off as you go.

I use silicone grease, a little of which in the o-ring groove can hold it
in place while you put the impeller cover plate back on.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2024, 11:37 AM hgamsby via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
wrote:

I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump.
Goes in part way but won't go further.  Seems like it won't gone onto the
spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks

Henry
Lyra
NT37
FAIRHAVEN MA

I always had a hard time with my SMX, but have learned a method that works pretty well: Put a little dish soap or silicone grease on the inside of the pump, not on the impeller. When I greased the impeller it became too slippery, and zip ties would Slide off before I wanted the to. Put two zip ties on impeller, squeezing it tight enough that the vanes fit into the housing. Slide it in. Mine always comes to a stop about halfway in. Push as hard as you can, but often it just won't go. Give the starter a very brief bump. This will turn the shaft a wee bit so the splines line up. Slide impeller in the rest of the way, sliding the zip ties off as you go. I use silicone grease, a little of which in the o-ring groove can hold it in place while you put the impeller cover plate back on. On Tue, Apr 23, 2024, 11:37 AM hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. > Goes in part way but won't go further. Seems like it won't gone onto the > spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks > > Henry > Lyra > NT37 > FAIRHAVEN MA > > > > Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
FF
Fire Fighter
Wed, Apr 24, 2024 12:01 AM

Here is a site that explains it in detail.https://marinehowto.com/changing-a-raw-water-pump-impeller/

[https://marinehowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/featImg-11NewImpeller.jpg]https://marinehowto.com/changing-a-raw-water-pump-impeller/
Changing A Raw Water Pump Impeller - Marine How Tohttps://marinehowto.com/changing-a-raw-water-pump-impeller/
The Raw Water Pump Changing an impeller is not a daunting task and it's one that every boater should consider adding to their arsenal of DIY maintenance. Changing an impeller, on many engines, usually takes less than 20 minutes even if
marinehowto.com
However, I agree with Evan, the positioning of your tongue is a critical factor :)
First ensure that you have the correct replacement part ..... I know basic, but critical.
Use a good water based lube (or dish soap) and coat the inside of the pump body, spindle, (and pump cover) liberally. I also coated the new impeller, but that got slippery and messy. Compress the vanes (direction not important), and twist and push into the pump. My SMX pump did not have a key, making installation easier.
As a last resort, there is an impeller installation tool available. It is basically a tapered cone that you push the impeller into, and insert that into the pump, then withdraw the tool. I have not used it, but have read positive reports.

Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

Here is a site that explains it in detail.https://marinehowto.com/changing-a-raw-water-pump-impeller/ [https://marinehowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/featImg-11NewImpeller.jpg]<https://marinehowto.com/changing-a-raw-water-pump-impeller/> Changing A Raw Water Pump Impeller - Marine How To<https://marinehowto.com/changing-a-raw-water-pump-impeller/> The Raw Water Pump Changing an impeller is not a daunting task and it's one that every boater should consider adding to their arsenal of DIY maintenance. Changing an impeller, on many engines, usually takes less than 20 minutes even if marinehowto.com However, I agree with Evan, the positioning of your tongue is a critical factor :) First ensure that you have the correct replacement part ..... I know basic, but critical. Use a good water based lube (or dish soap) and coat the inside of the pump body, spindle, (and pump cover) liberally. I also coated the new impeller, but that got slippery and messy. Compress the vanes (direction not important), and twist and push into the pump. My SMX pump did not have a key, making installation easier. As a last resort, there is an impeller installation tool available. It is basically a tapered cone that you push the impeller into, and insert that into the pump, then withdraw the tool. I have not used it, but have read positive reports. Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Richard Cook via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: April 23, 2024 2:08 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Richard Cook <richardcook257@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Impeller install in SBMar SMX Raw Water Pump on NT37 I always had a hard time with my SMX, but have learned a method that works pretty well: Put a little dish soap or silicone grease on the inside of the pump, not on the impeller. When I greased the impeller it became too slippery, and zip ties would Slide off before I wanted the to. Put two zip ties on impeller, squeezing it tight enough that the vanes fit into the housing. Slide it in. Mine always comes to a stop about halfway in. Push as hard as you can, but often it just won't go. Give the starter a very brief bump. This will turn the shaft a wee bit so the splines line up. Slide impeller in the rest of the way, sliding the zip ties off as you go. I use silicone grease, a little of which in the o-ring groove can hold it in place while you put the impeller cover plate back on. On Tue, Apr 23, 2024, 11:37 AM hgamsby via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org>> wrote: I'm having a problem putting a new SMX 27 impeller into my SMX water pump. Goes in part way but won't go further. Seems like it won't gone onto the spline. Anyone with experience? Thanks Henry Lyra NT37 FAIRHAVEN MA Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org>