sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Water in the engine compartment

PT
Paul Tangen
Wed, Aug 24, 2022 5:00 PM

Hello,
I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The water tastes like sea water.

Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Hello, I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The water tastes like sea water. Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any help would be appreciated. Paul
SH
stephen.h.hill@gmail.com
Wed, Aug 24, 2022 6:57 PM

This is a limber hole designed to ensure no water accumulates under that platform. Normally no water should be under that platform. Possibly sea water got in your engine room through the vents in your hull and got under the platform via another hole or fitting that’s been on the platform top??

Best wishes
Stephen Hill
NT37-199 Tug’n

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2022, at 1:00 PM, Paul Tangen via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Hello,
I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The water tastes like sea water.

Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

This is a limber hole designed to ensure no water accumulates under that platform. Normally no water should be under that platform. Possibly sea water got in your engine room through the vents in your hull and got under the platform via another hole or fitting that’s been on the platform top?? Best wishes Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n Sent from my iPhone > On Aug 24, 2022, at 1:00 PM, Paul Tangen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > Hello, > I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The water tastes like sea water. > > Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any help would be appreciated. > > Paul > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
JR
Jason Resch
Fri, Aug 26, 2022 8:56 PM

I, too, had water in the engine room. I was initially concerned, however I
replicated the problem by spraying water through the metal vents on the
hull. Nothing to worry about but a reminder to keep an eye on it/have a
shop vac or hand pup on hand.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM Stephen via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org
wrote:

[...]

I, too, had water in the engine room. I was initially concerned, however I replicated the problem by spraying water through the metal vents on the hull. Nothing to worry about but a reminder to keep an eye on it/have a shop vac or hand pup on hand. On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM Stephen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > This is a limber hole designed to ensure no water accumulates under that > platform. Normally no water should be under that platform. Possibly sea > water got in your engine room through the vents in your hull and got under > the platform via another hole or fitting that’s been on the platform top?? > > Best wishes > Stephen Hill > NT37-199 Tug’n > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On Aug 24, 2022, at 1:00 PM, Paul Tangen via Sentoa < > sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > > >  > > Hello, > > I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment > through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the > hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The > water tastes like sea water. > > > > Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings > that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any > help would be appreciated. > > > > Paul > > > > _______________________________________________ > > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >
SC
Sam Colllins
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 2:52 PM

On our NT 32 we found water entering the hull via the modified splash rails which were extended and rounded. The install was bolted but no backing plates or nuts were installed inside, apparently a haul with travel lift squeezed the rails and popped one away from the hull…..

Having them re-attached and glassed over.

Cheers,

Sam Collins

NT 32-95FB

Tug A Long

On Aug 24, 2022, at 1:00 PM, Paul Tangen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > wrote:

Hello,
I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The water tastes like sea water.

Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

On our NT 32 we found water entering the hull via the modified splash rails which were extended and rounded. The install was bolted but no backing plates or nuts were installed inside, apparently a haul with travel lift squeezed the rails and popped one away from the hull….. Having them re-attached and glassed over. Cheers, Sam Collins NT 32-95FB Tug A Long From: Jason Resch via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2022 4:56 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Paul Tangen <ptangen@ptangen.com>; Jason Resch <hescher@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Water in the engine compartment I, too, had water in the engine room. I was initially concerned, however I replicated the problem by spraying water through the metal vents on the hull. Nothing to worry about but a reminder to keep an eye on it/have a shop vac or hand pup on hand. On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM Stephen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > wrote: This is a limber hole designed to ensure no water accumulates under that platform. Normally no water should be under that platform. Possibly sea water got in your engine room through the vents in your hull and got under the platform via another hole or fitting that’s been on the platform top?? Best wishes Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n Sent from my iPhone > On Aug 24, 2022, at 1:00 PM, Paul Tangen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > wrote: > >  > Hello, > I have a 2005 NT32. Water has been entering the engine compartment through a hole on the starboard side. As you can see in the picture, the hole is under a platform that is built into the bottom of the boat. The water tastes like sea water. > > Has anyone else seen this before? I don’t see any thru-hull fittings that may be leaking above this hole except maybe the black water vent. Any help would be appreciated. > > Paul > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org> _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org>