sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Advice needed on dehumidifier

HH
Harry Hungate
Mon, Aug 30, 2021 6:10 PM

We are planning to leave Bessie, our NT32-238 on the hard north of St. Louis, MO, for the winter.  This will be the first time that we have left a boat for the winter are are seeking advice on winterizing, especially the need for a dehumudifier.  We understand the need to blow all of the water lines clear, and we have an air compressor aboard.

Many thanks,

Harry Hungate and Jane Lothrop
Now in Ft. Loudon Marina, heading west soon
P.S.  Valvtec Diesel $3.099

We are planning to leave Bessie, our NT32-238 on the hard north of St. Louis, MO, for the winter. This will be the first time that we have left a boat for the winter are are seeking advice on winterizing, especially the need for a dehumudifier. We understand the need to blow all of the water lines clear, and we have an air compressor aboard. Many thanks, Harry Hungate and Jane Lothrop Now in Ft. Loudon Marina, heading west soon P.S. Valvtec Diesel $3.099
jeff1
Mon, Aug 30, 2021 6:54 PM

For the last ten years, we’ve been using a stainless steel Mermaid unit - works very well.  It’s a bit of a beast to store in the engine room when not in use.
Pricey though - but it’s for your beloved tug, so simply insert a low impedance source of funds.

I set it on the galley sink on a modified drain board and let the water drip into the sink.

Happy tuggin’

Jeff Morris
NT37-144 Adventure-Us
Vancouver Canada
Currently cruising Salt Spring Island.  Just fueled up in Sidney BC Canada for $US 4.26 a gallon!

Here’s a note from Mermaid a few years ago - price has likely gone up:

Our horizontal 120 volt dehumidifiers are $830 each. Horizontal dimensions are 7.5" tall, 12" wide & 13" long.
It can be built in 220 volt for an additional $140.
Shipping ($40 anywhere in the continental US) and tax (only if within Florida) are extra.
Our units are stainless steel construction and include a 5 year factory warranty.
They weigh 36 lbs.
They take 3-4 days to build and 2-3 days to ship.
https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/ https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/

Tom Watts
888-908-9280 primary phone number
Mermaid MFG of SW FL, Inc.
2651 Park Windsor Drive, Suite 203
Fort Myers, Fl 33901
239-418-0535 alternate phone number
239-418-0538 fax
Email me at: techsupport@mmair.com applewebdata://BBC59EED-1F4C-4560-AB6B-60674E910D61/czink@mmair.com
See our website at: www.mmair.com http://www.mmair.com/

On Aug 30, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

We are planning to leave Bessie, our NT32-238 on the hard north of St. Louis, MO, for the winter.  This will be the first time that we have left a boat for the winter are are seeking advice on winterizing, especially the need for a dehumudifier.  We understand the need to blow all of the water lines clear, and we have an air compressor aboard.

Many thanks,

Harry Hungate and Jane Lothrop
Now in Ft. Loudon Marina, heading west soon
P.S.  Valvtec Diesel $3.099

For the last ten years, we’ve been using a stainless steel Mermaid unit - works very well. It’s a bit of a beast to store in the engine room when not in use. Pricey though - but it’s for your beloved tug, so simply insert a low impedance source of funds. I set it on the galley sink on a modified drain board and let the water drip into the sink. Happy tuggin’ Jeff Morris NT37-144 Adventure-Us Vancouver Canada Currently cruising Salt Spring Island. Just fueled up in Sidney BC Canada for $US 4.26 a gallon! Here’s a note from Mermaid a few years ago - price has likely gone up: Our horizontal 120 volt dehumidifiers are $830 each. Horizontal dimensions are 7.5" tall, 12" wide & 13" long. It can be built in 220 volt for an additional $140. Shipping ($40 anywhere in the continental US) and tax (only if within Florida) are extra. Our units are stainless steel construction and include a 5 year factory warranty. They weigh 36 lbs. They take 3-4 days to build and 2-3 days to ship. https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/ <https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/> Tom Watts 888-908-9280 primary phone number Mermaid MFG of SW FL, Inc. 2651 Park Windsor Drive, Suite 203 Fort Myers, Fl 33901 239-418-0535 alternate phone number 239-418-0538 fax Email me at: techsupport@mmair.com <applewebdata://BBC59EED-1F4C-4560-AB6B-60674E910D61/czink@mmair.com> See our website at: www.mmair.com <http://www.mmair.com/> > On Aug 30, 2021, at 11:10 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > We are planning to leave Bessie, our NT32-238 on the hard north of St. Louis, MO, for the winter. This will be the first time that we have left a boat for the winter are are seeking advice on winterizing, especially the need for a dehumudifier. We understand the need to blow all of the water lines clear, and we have an air compressor aboard. > > Many thanks, > > Harry Hungate and Jane Lothrop > Now in Ft. Loudon Marina, heading west soon > P.S. Valvtec Diesel $3.099 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
FF
Fire Fighter
Mon, Aug 30, 2021 7:50 PM

Each winter I put a "big box" store (like Home Depot) 30 pint dehumidifier in the galley with a short hose attached to the built in hose drain (that bypasses the storage tank) for continuous operation. If worried about the boat becoming too dry, install a timer to set the number of hours you want it to run. Also, you can use a "humidistat" or measuring device (I used a home "weather station" for a humidity reading and temperature reading) to monitor internal temps and actual humidity.
This system worked great, coupled with an oil pan heater on the Cummins engine that kept the engine warm and the entire ER warm and dry (no rust problem at all). I kept the ER hatch open to aid in circulation of air.
In my last year of ownership, I also used the same type of dehumidifier in the head draining into the shower (no space on the small counter to drain into the sink) and into the sump. Head door tied open against the stairs. This helped move throoughout the entire boat. All windows and exterior hatches closed.
One of the dehumidifiers was over 10 years old and still worked great.
You do need access to "shore power" for this to work, but it does work very well keeping the boat dry and free from "boat odours", at least in my experience.
PS. I live on the BC south coast where it rains most every day in the fall, winter, and early spring with outdoor humidity around  90% plus most days.  With this system, interior humidity was around 40% and was fairly constant.
Hope this helps,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

We are planning to leave Bessie, our NT32-238 on the hard north of St. Louis, MO, for the winter.  This will be the first time that we have left a boat for the winter are are seeking advice on winterizing, especially the need for a dehumudifier.  We understand the need to blow all of the water lines clear, and we have an air compressor aboard.

Many thanks,

Harry Hungate and Jane Lothrop
Now in Ft. Loudon Marina, heading west soon
P.S.  Valvtec Diesel $3.099

Each winter I put a "big box" store (like Home Depot) 30 pint dehumidifier in the galley with a short hose attached to the built in hose drain (that bypasses the storage tank) for continuous operation. If worried about the boat becoming too dry, install a timer to set the number of hours you want it to run. Also, you can use a "humidistat" or measuring device (I used a home "weather station" for a humidity reading and temperature reading) to monitor internal temps and actual humidity. This system worked great, coupled with an oil pan heater on the Cummins engine that kept the engine warm and the entire ER warm and dry (no rust problem at all). I kept the ER hatch open to aid in circulation of air. In my last year of ownership, I also used the same type of dehumidifier in the head draining into the shower (no space on the small counter to drain into the sink) and into the sump. Head door tied open against the stairs. This helped move throoughout the entire boat. All windows and exterior hatches closed. One of the dehumidifiers was over 10 years old and still worked great. You do need access to "shore power" for this to work, but it does work very well keeping the boat dry and free from "boat odours", at least in my experience. PS. I live on the BC south coast where it rains most every day in the fall, winter, and early spring with outdoor humidity around 90% plus most days. With this system, interior humidity was around 40% and was fairly constant. Hope this helps, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: August 30, 2021 11:10 AM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Harry Hungate <wcx7106@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Advice needed on dehumidifier We are planning to leave Bessie, our NT32-238 on the hard north of St. Louis, MO, for the winter. This will be the first time that we have left a boat for the winter are are seeking advice on winterizing, especially the need for a dehumudifier. We understand the need to blow all of the water lines clear, and we have an air compressor aboard. Many thanks, Harry Hungate and Jane Lothrop Now in Ft. Loudon Marina, heading west soon P.S. Valvtec Diesel $3.099 _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org