sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Steaming/anchor light

RC
Robert Claycomb
Mon, Mar 13, 2023 11:36 PM

Hello all

I have a 2006 32 NT.  For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light.  This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP)

Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens.  I bought a new Perko lens  (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb.

It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement.  So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D.  (Part # 9000425-08)  This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko.

Cheers,

Robert Claycomb
M/v Deneige
32-276
Santa Barbara

Hello all I have a 2006 32 NT. For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light. This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP) Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens. I bought a new Perko lens (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb. It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement. So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D. (Part # 9000425-08) This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko. Cheers, Robert Claycomb M/v Deneige 32-276 Santa Barbara
FF
Fire Fighter
Tue, Mar 14, 2023 4:34 PM

Hi Robert,
My anchor light lens had the same issue, and I did try replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED. However, the LED's did not last. I replaced them 2 times in less than 2 years. They are expensive, and are supposed to last for thousands of hours (which for me, they did not). My light was also at the top of a mast so bulb replacement mid season while away from home port was difficult at best!!!
Having checked with Perko, they told me I could not replace the entire fixture with one designed for LED without adding in a "black box" converter??? I just decided to replace the old fixture with a new one designed for incandescent. Those bulbs last for years anyway, and the "extra" electrical draw is actually minimal (in the scheme of our power use). Other than a guess (moisture?), I do not know why the LED bulbs failed so quickly in my fixture.
Also, from a legal and possibly insurance perspective, the light fixture is tested and "certified" for marine use (for the described purpose) as a whole unit (fixture and bulb), and just changing to LED bulbs could mean the unit is no longer "certified". Should an accident occur, this could become an issue. I know of at least one legal case where an intoxicated boater hit a boat at anchor, and defense attorneys (for the drunk boater) spent a few days examining whether the anchor light was appropriate????
Just food for thought,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068

I have a 2006 32 NT.  For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light.  This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP)

Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens.  I bought a new Perko lens  (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb.

It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement.  So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D.  (Part # 9000425-08)  This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko.

Cheers,

Robert Claycomb
M/v Deneige
32-276
Santa Barbara

Hi Robert, My anchor light lens had the same issue, and I did try replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED. However, the LED's did not last. I replaced them 2 times in less than 2 years. They are expensive, and are supposed to last for thousands of hours (which for me, they did not). My light was also at the top of a mast so bulb replacement mid season while away from home port was difficult at best!!! Having checked with Perko, they told me I could not replace the entire fixture with one designed for LED without adding in a "black box" converter??? I just decided to replace the old fixture with a new one designed for incandescent. Those bulbs last for years anyway, and the "extra" electrical draw is actually minimal (in the scheme of our power use). Other than a guess (moisture?), I do not know why the LED bulbs failed so quickly in my fixture. Also, from a legal and possibly insurance perspective, the light fixture is tested and "certified" for marine use (for the described purpose) as a whole unit (fixture and bulb), and just changing to LED bulbs could mean the unit is no longer "certified". Should an accident occur, this could become an issue. I know of at least one legal case where an intoxicated boater hit a boat at anchor, and defense attorneys (for the drunk boater) spent a few days examining whether the anchor light was appropriate???? Just food for thought, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 ________________________________ From: Robert Claycomb via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: March 13, 2023 4:36 PM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Robert Claycomb <robclay93103@cox.net> Subject: [Sentoa] Steaming/anchor light Hello all I have a 2006 32 NT. For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light. This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP) Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens. I bought a new Perko lens (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb. It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement. So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D. (Part # 9000425-08) This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko. Cheers, Robert Claycomb M/v Deneige 32-276 Santa Barbara _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
eheffa@gmail.com
Tue, Mar 14, 2023 4:45 PM

My experience has been quite different.

I replaced the bayonet halogen bulbs in the masthead light with LED’s in 2015.  They lasted ~6 years before losing a few of the LED units.  I’ve replaced these with a second set and so far they work very well.  The draw at anchor is significantly less and worth the switch for that reason alone.

-Evan

Tugaway
NT-37148
Victoria, BC

On Mar 14, 2023, at 09:34, Fire Fighter via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

My experience has been quite different. I replaced the bayonet halogen bulbs in the masthead light with LED’s in 2015. They lasted ~6 years before losing a few of the LED units. I’ve replaced these with a second set and so far they work very well. The draw at anchor is significantly less and worth the switch for that reason alone. -Evan Tugaway NT-37148 Victoria, BC > On Mar 14, 2023, at 09:34, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > Hi Robert, > My anchor light lens had the same issue, and I did try replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED. However, the LED's did not last. I replaced them 2 times in less than 2 years. They are expensive, and are supposed to last for thousands of hours (which for me, they did not). My light was also at the top of a mast so bulb replacement mid season while away from home port was difficult at best!!! > Having checked with Perko, they told me I could not replace the entire fixture with one designed for LED without adding in a "black box" converter??? I just decided to replace the old fixture with a new one designed for incandescent. Those bulbs last for years anyway, and the "extra" electrical draw is actually minimal (in the scheme of our power use). Other than a guess (moisture?), I do not know why the LED bulbs failed so quickly in my fixture. > Also, from a legal and possibly insurance perspective, the light fixture is tested and "certified" for marine use (for the described purpose) as a whole unit (fixture and bulb), and just changing to LED bulbs could mean the unit is no longer "certified". Should an accident occur, this could become an issue. I know of at least one legal case where an intoxicated boater hit a boat at anchor, and defense attorneys (for the drunk boater) spent a few days examining whether the anchor light was appropriate???? > Just food for thought, > Tom Easterbrook > formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 > From: Robert Claycomb via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Sent: March 13, 2023 4:36 PM > To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > Cc: Robert Claycomb <robclay93103@cox.net> > Subject: [Sentoa] Steaming/anchor light > > Hello all > > I have a 2006 32 NT. For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light. This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP) > > Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens. I bought a new Perko lens (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb. > > It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement. So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D. (Part # 9000425-08) This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko. > > Cheers, > > Robert Claycomb > M/v Deneige > 32-276 > Santa Barbara > > > > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org <mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org>
BD
Brian Dodsworth
Tue, Mar 14, 2023 10:47 PM

A few years ago our anchor lamp seemed to burn out fairly quickly, and also was one of the dimmest in an anchorage.
When I went looking for a replacement in the form of an LED, I realized that I could buy a whole new
lamp mast including LED for not much more than an LED bulb so I changed the whole thing.
Simple to change, and a much brighter light that uses 1/10 of the power of a standard bulb.

Brian D. NT32-100

I have a 2006 32 NT. For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light. This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP)

Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens. I bought a new Perko lens (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb.

It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement. So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D. (Part # 9000425-08) This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko.

Cheers,

Robert Claycomb
M/v Deneige
32-276
Santa Barbara

A few years ago our anchor lamp seemed to burn out fairly quickly, and also was one of the dimmest in an anchorage. When I went looking for a replacement in the form of an LED, I realized that I could buy a whole new lamp mast including LED for not much more than an LED bulb so I changed the whole thing. Simple to change, and a much brighter light that uses 1/10 of the power of a standard bulb. Brian D. NT32-100 From: "South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association, SENTOA" <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To: "South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association, SENTOA" <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: "Evan Effa" <eheffa@gmail.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 9:45:47 AM Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Steaming/anchor light My experience has been quite different. I replaced the bayonet halogen bulbs in the masthead light with LED’s in 2015. They lasted ~6 years before losing a few of the LED units. I’ve replaced these with a second set and so far they work very well. The draw at anchor is significantly less and worth the switch for that reason alone. -Evan Tugaway NT-37148 Victoria, BC On Mar 14, 2023, at 09:34, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: Hi Robert, My anchor light lens had the same issue, and I did try replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED. However, the LED's did not last. I replaced them 2 times in less than 2 years. They are expensive, and are supposed to last for thousands of hours (which for me, they did not). My light was also at the top of a mast so bulb replacement mid season while away from home port was difficult at best!!! Having checked with Perko, they told me I could not replace the entire fixture with one designed for LED without adding in a "black box" converter??? I just decided to replace the old fixture with a new one designed for incandescent. Those bulbs last for years anyway, and the "extra" electrical draw is actually minimal (in the scheme of our power use). Other than a guess (moisture?), I do not know why the LED bulbs failed so quickly in my fixture. Also, from a legal and possibly insurance perspective, the light fixture is tested and "certified" for marine use (for the described purpose) as a whole unit (fixture and bulb), and just changing to LED bulbs could mean the unit is no longer "certified". Should an accident occur, this could become an issue. I know of at least one legal case where an intoxicated boater hit a boat at anchor, and defense attorneys (for the drunk boater) spent a few days examining whether the anchor light was appropriate???? Just food for thought, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 From: Robert Claycomb via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: March 13, 2023 4:36 PM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Robert Claycomb <robclay93103@cox.net> Subject: [Sentoa] Steaming/anchor light Hello all I have a 2006 32 NT. For my year model NT, a Perko Clear Globe lens was installed as my combo streaming/anchor light. This unit came with an incandescent bulb (12V4GP) Since age turned what originally had been clear globe lens in to a very crazed and foggy lens. I bought a new Perko lens (0248DP0CLR) and decided to change to a LED bulb. It was however, a bit difficult to determine the LED bulb replacement. So, I emailed a lighting company called Dr. LED and it was suggested that I order LED model BA 15D. (Part # 9000425-08) This is described as Bayonet Double Contact bulb that replaces the incandescent bulb that came with the Perko. Cheers, Robert Claycomb M/v Deneige 32-276 Santa Barbara _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- [ mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org | sentoa@lists.sentoa.org ] To unsubscribe send an email to [ mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org | sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org ] _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org