sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Second Anchor

hgamsby
Tue, Jul 6, 2021 6:32 PM

I was wondering what anchor people carry as a second anchor on a NT37. I have bow pulpit with two rollers. 55 lb Rocna in main. Was wondering what fits best in the other roller. My old 45 Bruce doesn't fit well.Henry GamsbyLYRA37-90Fairhaven,  MASent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

I was wondering what anchor people carry as a second anchor on a NT37. I have bow pulpit with two rollers. 55 lb Rocna in main. Was wondering what fits best in the other roller. My old 45 Bruce doesn't fit well.Henry GamsbyLYRA37-90Fairhaven,  MASent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
FF
Fire Fighter
Tue, Jul 6, 2021 6:52 PM

Henry,
Being as my NT 37 did not have a second "hawser" or hole in the deck and my windlass did not have 2 chain gypsys, I did not carry my second or backup anchor on the bow. I guess I could have lashed it in place there, but I did not try. I did carry backup chain and rode in the "other" (non-used) half of the chain locker, although not as much as in the main anchor side.
My main anchor was a Vulcan 55 lb. (I installed a SS non-polished plate on each side of the roller to help hold the Vulcan more securely in place, and this worked well) and I carried a "spare" Rocna 44 lb that I tied in place on the "sun deck". I also had a smaller Danforth in the laz that could be used as a stern anchor or in an emergency.
Best,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC