sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Lock Nut on Helm Wheel - NT32

DC
David Carlson
Thu, Dec 23, 2021 11:50 PM

I would like to replace the lock nut on the wheel of my 2007 NT32.  It has been removed so many times (access for electrical work) that it is wearing out (both the outside surface and the nylock).  The socket that I use is 15/16 inches, but I wonder if perhaps the nut is metric and it is worn because the wrong size has been used?  Does anyone know?

And does anyone have a source for this nut?

David Carlson
NT32-291
Dottie Jean
Knoxville, TN

I would like to replace the lock nut on the wheel of my 2007 NT32. It has been removed so many times (access for electrical work) that it is wearing out (both the outside surface and the nylock). The socket that I use is 15/16 inches, but I wonder if perhaps the nut is metric and it is worn because the wrong size has been used? Does anyone know? And does anyone have a source for this nut? David Carlson NT32-291 Dottie Jean Knoxville, TN
gefuller5@comcast.net
Fri, Dec 24, 2021 1:02 AM

David,

15/16” is the nominal across-flat size for 5/8” diameter bolts. The pitch will be either 11 or 18 threads per inch. The closest metric equivalent would be 16 mm with a 2 mm thread pitch. There is no way it would be possible to get even a fraction of a turn with a metric instead of imperial size. The standard wrench size for a 16 mm nut would be 24 mm, which is bigger than 15/16”.

You probably won’t find the correct replacement nuts at the local hardware store or the local marine store, but they are available from any industrial supplier such as Fastenal or McMaster-Carr.

Gene Fuller

Yorkshire Rose

NT37-136

Punta Gorda, FL

David, 15/16” is the nominal across-flat size for 5/8” diameter bolts. The pitch will be either 11 or 18 threads per inch. The closest metric equivalent would be 16 mm with a 2 mm thread pitch. There is no way it would be possible to get even a fraction of a turn with a metric instead of imperial size. The standard wrench size for a 16 mm nut would be 24 mm, which is bigger than 15/16”. You probably won’t find the correct replacement nuts at the local hardware store or the local marine store, but they are available from any industrial supplier such as Fastenal or McMaster-Carr. Gene Fuller *Yorkshire Rose* NT37-136 Punta Gorda, FL
dwowen@cox.net
Fri, Dec 24, 2021 2:54 AM

My NT-32 has a SeaStar hydraulic steering unit.    It has a 5/8" NF lock
nut.  To my knowledge that would mean a 5/8-18, which is available in 316
Stainless Nylock from MacMaster Carr online if you don't have a fasteners
supply house nearby.

David

David W Owen

"WILSON"  Nordic Tug 32-260

Santa Barbara, CA

I would like to replace the lock nut on the wheel of my 2007 NT32.  It has
been removed so many times (access for electrical work) that it is wearing
out (both the outside surface and the nylock).  The socket that I use is
15/16 inches, but I wonder if perhaps the nut is metric and it is worn
because the wrong size has been used?  Does anyone know?

And does anyone have a source for this nut?

David Carlson

NT32-291

Dottie Jean

Knoxville, TN

My NT-32 has a SeaStar hydraulic steering unit. It has a 5/8" NF lock nut. To my knowledge that would mean a 5/8-18, which is available in 316 Stainless Nylock from MacMaster Carr online if you don't have a fasteners supply house nearby. David David W Owen "WILSON" Nordic Tug 32-260 Santa Barbara, CA From: David Carlson via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 3:50 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: David Carlson <dscarlson@comcast.net> Subject: [Sentoa] Lock Nut on Helm Wheel - NT32 I would like to replace the lock nut on the wheel of my 2007 NT32. It has been removed so many times (access for electrical work) that it is wearing out (both the outside surface and the nylock). The socket that I use is 15/16 inches, but I wonder if perhaps the nut is metric and it is worn because the wrong size has been used? Does anyone know? And does anyone have a source for this nut? David Carlson NT32-291 Dottie Jean Knoxville, TN
DC
David Carlson
Fri, Dec 24, 2021 3:05 AM

Thanks for the answers. I will order a 5/8-18 nut as I am sure that you are correct.

David Carlson
NT32-291
Knoxville, TN

Thanks for the answers. I will order a 5/8-18 nut as I am sure that you are correct. David Carlson NT32-291 Knoxville, TN On Dec 23, 2021, at 21:54, David Owen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:  My NT-32 has a SeaStar hydraulic steering unit. It has a 5/8” NF lock nut. To my knowledge that would mean a 5/8-18, which is available in 316 Stainless Nylock from MacMaster Carr online if you don’t have a fasteners supply house nearby. David David W Owen “WILSON” Nordic Tug 32-260 Santa Barbara, CA From: David Carlson via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 3:50 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: David Carlson <dscarlson@comcast.net> Subject: [Sentoa] Lock Nut on Helm Wheel - NT32 I would like to replace the lock nut on the wheel of my 2007 NT32. It has been removed so many times (access for electrical work) that it is wearing out (both the outside surface and the nylock). The socket that I use is 15/16 inches, but I wonder if perhaps the nut is metric and it is worn because the wrong size has been used? Does anyone know? And does anyone have a source for this nut? David Carlson NT32-291 Dottie Jean Knoxville, TN _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org