sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Resealing pilot house to rear deck

HH
Harry Hungate
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 12:59 AM

Any recommendations on what to seal the join ( either side of the “smokestack”)?
Boat Life Life Caulk or Life Seal?  Previous owner applied RTV which is peeling away.

Harry Hungate
Bessie NT32-238
Tennessee River heading down to Chattanooga

Any recommendations on what to seal the join ( either side of the “smokestack”)? Boat Life Life Caulk or Life Seal? Previous owner applied RTV which is peeling away. Harry Hungate Bessie NT32-238 Tennessee River heading down to Chattanooga
FF
Fire Fighter
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 1:35 AM

Harry,
I recommend using Sikaflex 291 or Sikaflex 295UV as a sealant. If exposed to a lot of sun (eg. Florida), I would go with the 295UV. However, I chose to "pay the big bucks" to have that joint permanently "sealed" by having a professional and fibreglassed the joint. It will never need to be "redone" again, although it was not an inexpensive 'fix". I was very happy with the final result.
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

Any recommendations on what to seal the join ( either side of the “smokestack”)?
Boat Life Life Caulk or Life Seal?  Previous owner applied RTV which is peeling away.

Harry Hungate
Bessie NT32-238
Tennessee River heading down to Chattanooga

Harry, I recommend using Sikaflex 291 or Sikaflex 295UV as a sealant. If exposed to a lot of sun (eg. Florida), I would go with the 295UV. However, I chose to "pay the big bucks" to have that joint permanently "sealed" by having a professional and fibreglassed the joint. It will never need to be "redone" again, although it was not an inexpensive 'fix". I was very happy with the final result. Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: September 6, 2021 5:59 PM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Harry Hungate <wcx7106@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Resealing pilot house to rear deck Any recommendations on what to seal the join ( either side of the “smokestack”)? Boat Life Life Caulk or Life Seal? Previous owner applied RTV which is peeling away. Harry Hungate Bessie NT32-238 Tennessee River heading down to Chattanooga