sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Re: Water level

HN
Herb Nickles
Thu, Aug 15, 2024 11:41 AM

On my 32, I installed a water flow meter at the pump which connected by small wire to a digital display. When you filled the water tanks you reset the display to show the max gallons. As you use water the display counted down the gallons so you always knew what was left in the tank. It worked better than the systems with tank sensors and was very easy to install.

I don’t remember the brand (don’t own the tug anymore). But I found a similar unit on Amazon. https://a.co/d/4my73b2

It looks like they also have a Bluetooth version which will give you the data on your smartphone.

Herb Nickles
Former owner NT32225 and NT 37049

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:11 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:
Our NT-32-238 came to us with a Hart Systems, Inc. Tank Tender installed.  It measures the fuel rank and water tank(s).  No electrical connection, no maintenance.
Harry Hungate

On Aug 14, 2024, at 7:23 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone has a good solution to monitor the amount of fresh water in their tug. I installed a water meter right after the pump, but it is a pain to check it down in the engine room all the time.

I know the Victron Cerbo GX will display tank levels but I don’t know the best way or the best monitor to connect to it. Also, accessing the tanks will be a problem and the Victron rabbit hole might take all my money.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Paul Bulk
Crown Prince
Brentwood Bay BC
32-191

On my 32, I installed a water flow meter at the pump which connected by small wire to a digital display. When you filled the water tanks you reset the display to show the max gallons. As you use water the display counted down the gallons so you always knew what was left in the tank. It worked better than the systems with tank sensors and was very easy to install. I don’t remember the brand (don’t own the tug anymore). But I found a similar unit on Amazon. https://a.co/d/4my73b2 It looks like they also have a Bluetooth version which will give you the data on your smartphone. Herb Nickles Former owner NT32225 and NT 37049 Sent from my iPhone Sent from my iPhone > On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:11 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > Our NT-32-238 came to us with a Hart Systems, Inc. Tank Tender installed. It measures the fuel rank and water tank(s). No electrical connection, no maintenance. > Harry Hungate > >> On Aug 14, 2024, at 7:23 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >> >> Hello All, >> >> I am wondering if anyone has a good solution to monitor the amount of fresh water in their tug. I installed a water meter right after the pump, but it is a pain to check it down in the engine room all the time. >> >> I know the Victron Cerbo GX will display tank levels but I don’t know the best way or the best monitor to connect to it. Also, accessing the tanks will be a problem and the Victron rabbit hole might take all my money. >> >> Any help or thoughts are appreciated. >> >> Paul Bulk >> Crown Prince >> Brentwood Bay BC >> 32-191 >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
AT
Anthony Torphy
Thu, Aug 15, 2024 11:57 AM

I am the current owner of Snorri, NT 32225. The water flow meter Herb installed is a Watercounter unit. I don’t know if they are still being made but it works very well.

Best regards,

Tony Torphy
Snorri, NT32225

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:41 AM, Herb Nickles via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

I am the current owner of Snorri, NT 32225. The water flow meter Herb installed is a Watercounter unit. I don’t know if they are still being made but it works very well. Best regards, Tony Torphy Snorri, NT32225 Sent from my iPhone > On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:41 AM, Herb Nickles via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > On my 32, I installed a water flow meter at the pump which connected by small wire to a digital display. When you filled the water tanks you reset the display to show the max gallons. As you use water the display counted down the gallons so you always knew what was left in the tank. It worked better than the systems with tank sensors and was very easy to install. > > I don’t remember the brand (don’t own the tug anymore). But I found a similar unit on Amazon. https://a.co/d/4my73b2 > > It looks like they also have a Bluetooth version which will give you the data on your smartphone. > > Herb Nickles > Former owner NT32225 and NT 37049 > > Sent from my iPhone > > > Sent from my iPhone >>> On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:11 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >>> >> Our NT-32-238 came to us with a Hart Systems, Inc. Tank Tender installed. It measures the fuel rank and water tank(s). No electrical connection, no maintenance. >> Harry Hungate >> >>> On Aug 14, 2024, at 7:23 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >>> >>> Hello All, >>> >>> I am wondering if anyone has a good solution to monitor the amount of fresh water in their tug. I installed a water meter right after the pump, but it is a pain to check it down in the engine room all the time. >>> >>> I know the Victron Cerbo GX will display tank levels but I don’t know the best way or the best monitor to connect to it. Also, accessing the tanks will be a problem and the Victron rabbit hole might take all my money. >>> >>> Any help or thoughts are appreciated. >>> >>> Paul Bulk >>> Crown Prince >>> Brentwood Bay BC >>> 32-191 >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
RC
Richard Cohen
Thu, Aug 15, 2024 12:25 PM

Hello All

I added this to NT37-079 which we have since sold  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PFN9MFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1.  I had intended to extend the display to inside the stern hanging locker, but never did so it was simply stuck to the side of the water heater.

It worked very well, when I installed it I was reluctant to trust such a cheap and simple solution so I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BL37TN96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which allowed me to check on the accuracy when I filled.  The systems was spot on at +/- 3 gallons which I suspect had more to do with the level of fill.

On NT42-074 we have a proper sight tube easily accessible from the lazarette.  As such, I do not anticipate going this route again, but it was very effective, cheap and easy.

Richard Cohen
Managing Partner

BOSTONhttp://www.bostoncio.com/CIO  http://www.bostoncio.com/
BostonCIO LLC
(508) 265-7277tel:(508)%20265-7277
RCohen@BostonCIO.commailto:rcohen@bostoncio.com
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/BostonCIO-LLC-209170469076/  |  LinkedInhttps://www.linkedin.com/company/bostoncio-llc

Hello All I added this to NT37-079 which we have since sold https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PFN9MFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1. I had intended to extend the display to inside the stern hanging locker, but never did so it was simply stuck to the side of the water heater. It worked very well, when I installed it I was reluctant to trust such a cheap and simple solution so I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BL37TN96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which allowed me to check on the accuracy when I filled. The systems was spot on at +/- 3 gallons which I suspect had more to do with the level of fill. On NT42-074 we have a proper sight tube easily accessible from the lazarette. As such, I do not anticipate going this route again, but it was very effective, cheap and easy. Richard Cohen Managing Partner BOSTON<http://www.bostoncio.com/>CIO <http://www.bostoncio.com/> BostonCIO LLC (508) 265-7277<tel:(508)%20265-7277> RCohen@BostonCIO.com<mailto:rcohen@bostoncio.com> Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/BostonCIO-LLC-209170469076/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/bostoncio-llc> From: Anthony Torphy via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2024 7:57 AM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Anthony Torphy <atorphy@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Water level I am the current owner of Snorri, NT 32225. The water flow meter Herb installed is a Watercounter unit. I don’t know if they are still being made but it works very well. Best regards, Tony Torphy Snorri, NT32225 Sent from my iPhone On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:41 AM, Herb Nickles via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org>> wrote:  On my 32, I installed a water flow meter at the pump which connected by small wire to a digital display. When you filled the water tanks you reset the display to show the max gallons. As you use water the display counted down the gallons so you always knew what was left in the tank. It worked better than the systems with tank sensors and was very easy to install. I don’t remember the brand (don’t own the tug anymore). But I found a similar unit on Amazon. https://a.co/d/4my73b2 It looks like they also have a Bluetooth version which will give you the data on your smartphone. Herb Nickles Former owner NT32225 and NT 37049 Sent from my iPhone Sent from my iPhone On Aug 15, 2024, at 7:11 AM, Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org>> wrote: Our NT-32-238 came to us with a Hart Systems, Inc. Tank Tender installed. It measures the fuel rank and water tank(s). No electrical connection, no maintenance. Harry Hungate On Aug 14, 2024, at 7:23 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org>> wrote: Hello All, I am wondering if anyone has a good solution to monitor the amount of fresh water in their tug. I installed a water meter right after the pump, but it is a pain to check it down in the engine room all the time. I know the Victron Cerbo GX will display tank levels but I don’t know the best way or the best monitor to connect to it. Also, accessing the tanks will be a problem and the Victron rabbit hole might take all my money. Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Paul Bulk Crown Prince Brentwood Bay BC 32-191 _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org> _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org> _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org<mailto:sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org>