sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Cockpit Water intrusion

PC
Paul Cleary
Sat, Aug 14, 2021 9:45 PM

I surveyed a newer 37 this past week. The surveyor found water in the
cockpit floor by the port side ladder that goes to the flybridge.

The water is originating from the propane locker and has infiltrated to the
ladder and in a two foot radius from the propane locker. He was unable to
determine if water has crept into the salon. The sole of the cockpit is not
soft or mushy.

The water is originating from a two inch hole the factory drilled in the
locker and floor to run the 1/2 inch gas line. The edges of the hole are
not sealed and the gas Line is not gasketed. There is no drain in the
propane locker. When water gets in the locker the water goes straight to
the bilge and in addition is absorbed into the sole. From the lazarette you
can see clear water dripping from the hole.

How big of a problem is this?  How long and how hard to fix?  Collateral
damage?  How much? I know this kind of thing can get expensive quickly.
Thanks for your help

[...]
CDR
Sat, Aug 14, 2021 10:12 PM

I think that by applicable standards a drain hole is required to assure that any leaking propane is vented/drained immediately overboard – and not into the bilge!  That, in a of itself, is truly dangerous.

The core issues and the sealing of holes can be assessed and fixed by any competent boat yard.  They should be of concern.  They may be expensive to fix depending on the extent of core that has been wet or rotted.  I hope I have not misunderstood your description.

Chris & Roddy Roosevelt
Former owners of NT 37-193
Christopher du P. Roosevelt
88 Ely's Ferry Road
Lyme, CT 06371-3409
Office Tel.:  860-434-9500
Office Fax.:  860-434-9505
[...]

I think that by applicable standards a drain hole is required to assure that any leaking propane is vented/drained immediately overboard – and not into the bilge! That, in a of itself, is truly dangerous. The core issues and the sealing of holes can be assessed and fixed by any competent boat yard. They should be of concern. They may be expensive to fix depending on the extent of core that has been wet or rotted. I hope I have not misunderstood your description. Chris & Roddy Roosevelt Former owners of NT 37-193 Christopher du P. Roosevelt 88 Ely's Ferry Road Lyme, CT 06371-3409 Office Tel.: 860-434-9500 Office Fax.: 860-434-9505 E-mail: cdr@cdrose22.com<mailto:cdr@cdrose22.com> From: Paul Cleary via Sentoa [mailto:sentoa@lists.sentoa.org] Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2021 5:45 PM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org Cc: Paul Cleary <mvsouthernbelle34@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Cockpit Water intrusion I surveyed a newer 37 this past week. The surveyor found water in the cockpit floor by the port side ladder that goes to the flybridge. The water is originating from the propane locker and has infiltrated to the ladder and in a two foot radius from the propane locker. He was unable to determine if water has crept into the salon. The sole of the cockpit is not soft or mushy. The water is originating from a two inch hole the factory drilled in the locker and floor to run the 1/2 inch gas line. The edges of the hole are not sealed and the gas Line is not gasketed. There is no drain in the propane locker. When water gets in the locker the water goes straight to the bilge and in addition is absorbed into the sole. From the lazarette you can see clear water dripping from the hole. How big of a problem is this? How long and how hard to fix? Collateral damage? How much? I know this kind of thing can get expensive quickly. Thanks for your help
SD
Scott D
Sat, Aug 14, 2021 10:33 PM

There should be a drain in the bottom of the locker that goes overboard.
It sounds like this drain for the LP is missing. Instlal the drain right
away and monitor the delamination. Not an easy fix, but likely not
structural either.

On 8/14/2021 2:45 PM, Paul Cleary via Sentoa wrote:

I surveyed a newer 37 this past week. The surveyor found water in the
cockpit floor by the port side ladder that goes to the flybridge.

The water is originating from the propane locker and has infiltrated
to the ladder and in a two foot radius from the propane locker. He was
unable to determine if water has crept into the salon. The sole of the
cockpit is not soft or mushy.

The water is originating from a two inch hole the factory drilled in
the locker and floor to run the 1/2 inch gas line. The edges of the
hole are not sealed and the gas Line is not gasketed. There is no
drain in the propane locker. When water gets in the locker the water
goes straight to the bilge and in addition is absorbed into the sole.
From the lazarette you can see clear water dripping from the hole.

--

There should be a drain in the bottom of the locker that goes overboard. It sounds like this drain for the LP is missing. Instlal the drain right away and monitor the delamination. Not an easy fix, but likely not structural either. On 8/14/2021 2:45 PM, Paul Cleary via Sentoa wrote: > I surveyed a newer 37 this past week. The surveyor found water in the > cockpit floor by the port side ladder that goes to the flybridge. > > The water is originating from the propane locker and has infiltrated > to the ladder and in a two foot radius from the propane locker. He was > unable to determine if water has crept into the salon. The sole of the > cockpit is not soft or mushy. > > The water is originating from a two inch hole the factory drilled in > the locker and floor to run the 1/2 inch gas line. The edges of the > hole are not sealed and the gas Line is not gasketed. There is no > drain in the propane locker. When water gets in the locker the water > goes straight to the bilge and in addition is absorbed into the sole. > From the lazarette you can see clear water dripping from the hole. > > How big of a problem is this?  How long and how hard to fix? > Collateral damage?  How much? I know this kind of thing can get > expensive quickly.  Thanks for your help > > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org -- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
gefuller5@comcast.net

Frankly, this sounds like an aftermarket installation. The rules for propane have been well established for decades. It is almost inconceivable that a “newer” 37 would leave the factory like that.

In any case, if the cockpit sole is not spongy I would just fix the immediate problem by cleaning up the installation, adding a drain, etc, and not worry about rebuilding the sole.

Obviously it is a topic for the survey and any purchase negotiations, but it should not kill the deal by itself.

Gene Fuller

Yorkshire Rose, NT 37-136

Frankly, this sounds like an aftermarket installation. The rules for propane have been well established for decades. It is almost inconceivable that a “newer” 37 would leave the factory like that. In any case, if the cockpit sole is not spongy I would just fix the immediate problem by cleaning up the installation, adding a drain, etc, and not worry about rebuilding the sole. Obviously it is a topic for the survey and any purchase negotiations, but it should not kill the deal by itself. Gene Fuller *Yorkshire Rose*, NT 37-136
FF
Fire Fighter
Sun, Aug 15, 2021 12:21 AM

I agree that this does not sound like a factory install, but an aftermarket "upgrade" to propane? For safety, the propane locker needs to be "air tight" as regards the interior of the boat, bilge, or lazarette. It should have a properly sized drain directly overboard to vent any propane that may leak from the cylinder or lines. Propane is heavier than air, expands from liquid to gas at a rate of 360 to 1 and if not handled correctly can be very dangerous. So get your propane "locker" up to standard, and do it right away.
I disagree with the others on the delamination in the cockpit sole (floor). The water intrusion, if it continues will just add to and expand the issue. Over time, the core which is wood will rot and your floor will soften. I would expect that if left, when you finally deal with it, the cost will be higher requiring more extensive work. If it were my boat, I would deal with it sooner rather than later. I had a similar delam issue in the "roof" overhang of the cockpit, caused by water leaking from holes in the top deck for dinghy mounting. It cost about $7,000 to repair a 9 square foot area. If this is a boat you are considering purchasing, then I would try to get some estimates as to cost for this repair (it could be rather expensive depending on how far it has spread, what has to be removed, etc.) so that I could adjust my bid accordingly. I would expect that the seller would cover at least some of the estimated expense.
Good luck,
Tom Easterbrook
Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

Frankly, this sounds like an aftermarket installation. The rules for propane have been well established for decades. It is almost inconceivable that a “newer” 37 would leave the factory like that.

In any case, if the cockpit sole is not spongy I would just fix the immediate problem by cleaning up the installation, adding a drain, etc, and not worry about rebuilding the sole.

Obviously it is a topic for the survey and any purchase negotiations, but it should not kill the deal by itself.

Gene Fuller

Yorkshire Rose, NT 37-136

I agree that this does not sound like a factory install, but an aftermarket "upgrade" to propane? For safety, the propane locker needs to be "air tight" as regards the interior of the boat, bilge, or lazarette. It should have a properly sized drain directly overboard to vent any propane that may leak from the cylinder or lines. Propane is heavier than air, expands from liquid to gas at a rate of 360 to 1 and if not handled correctly can be very dangerous. So get your propane "locker" up to standard, and do it right away. I disagree with the others on the delamination in the cockpit sole (floor). The water intrusion, if it continues will just add to and expand the issue. Over time, the core which is wood will rot and your floor will soften. I would expect that if left, when you finally deal with it, the cost will be higher requiring more extensive work. If it were my boat, I would deal with it sooner rather than later. I had a similar delam issue in the "roof" overhang of the cockpit, caused by water leaking from holes in the top deck for dinghy mounting. It cost about $7,000 to repair a 9 square foot area. If this is a boat you are considering purchasing, then I would try to get some estimates as to cost for this repair (it could be rather expensive depending on how far it has spread, what has to be removed, etc.) so that I could adjust my bid accordingly. I would expect that the seller would cover at least some of the estimated expense. Good luck, Tom Easterbrook Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Gene Fuller via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: August 14, 2021 4:10 PM To: sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: gefuller5@comcast.net <gefuller5@comcast.net> Subject: [Sentoa] Re: Cockpit Water intrusion Frankly, this sounds like an aftermarket installation. The rules for propane have been well established for decades. It is almost inconceivable that a “newer” 37 would leave the factory like that. In any case, if the cockpit sole is not spongy I would just fix the immediate problem by cleaning up the installation, adding a drain, etc, and not worry about rebuilding the sole. Obviously it is a topic for the survey and any purchase negotiations, but it should not kill the deal by itself. Gene Fuller Yorkshire Rose, NT 37-136
PC
Paul Cleary
Sun, Aug 15, 2021 11:44 AM

Thank you for all of the advice. We will definitely fix the propane drain
if we purchase the boat. We try to always be a safety first boat!

On Saturday, August 14, 2021, Fire Fighter via Sentoa <
sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for all of the advice. We will definitely fix the propane drain if we purchase the boat. We try to always be a safety first boat! On Saturday, August 14, 2021, Fire Fighter via Sentoa < sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > I agree that this does not sound like a factory install, but an > aftermarket "upgrade" to propane? For safety, the propane locker needs to > be "air tight" as regards the interior of the boat, bilge, or lazarette. It > should have a properly sized drain directly overboard to vent any propane > that may leak from the cylinder or lines. Propane is heavier than air, > expands from liquid to gas at a rate of 360 to 1 and if not handled > correctly can be very dangerous. So get your propane "locker" up to > standard, and do it right away. > I disagree with the others on the delamination in the cockpit sole > (floor). The water intrusion, if it continues will just add to and expand > the issue. Over time, the core which is wood will rot and your floor will > soften. I would expect that if left, when you finally deal with it, the > cost will be higher requiring more extensive work. If it were my boat, I > would deal with it sooner rather than later. I had a similar delam issue in > the "roof" overhang of the cockpit, caused by water leaking from holes in > the top deck for dinghy mounting. It cost about $7,000 to repair a 9 square > foot area. If this is a boat you are considering purchasing, then I would > try to get some estimates as to cost for this repair (it could be rather > expensive depending on how far it has spread, what has to be removed, etc.) > so that I could adjust my bid accordingly. I would expect that the seller > would cover at least some of the estimated expense. > Good luck, > Tom Easterbrook > Formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 > Nanaimo, BC > > ------------------------------ > *From:* Gene Fuller via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > *Sent:* August 14, 2021 4:10 PM > *To:* sentoa@lists.sentoa.org <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> > *Cc:* gefuller5@comcast.net <gefuller5@comcast.net> > *Subject:* [Sentoa] Re: Cockpit Water intrusion > > > Frankly, this sounds like an aftermarket installation. The rules for > propane have been well established for decades. It is almost inconceivable > that a “newer” 37 would leave the factory like that. > > In any case, if the cockpit sole is not spongy I would just fix the > immediate problem by cleaning up the installation, adding a drain, etc, and > not worry about rebuilding the sole. > > Obviously it is a topic for the survey and any purchase negotiations, but > it should not kill the deal by itself. > > > Gene Fuller > > *Yorkshire Rose*, NT 37-136 >