sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Transfering fuel

RD
Rio DeGennaro
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 1:36 PM

As most of you undoubtedly know, in order to calibrate my fuel gauges, I need to start with an empty tank.
Is it possible to transfer fuel from one tank to the other?  I have a polishing system but no specific transfer pump.
Ideas?

Rio DeGennaro
37-197
Chocowinity, NC

As most of you undoubtedly know, in order to calibrate my fuel gauges, I need to start with an empty tank. Is it possible to transfer fuel from one tank to the other? I have a polishing system but no specific transfer pump. Ideas? Rio DeGennaro 37-197 Chocowinity, NC
FF
Fire Fighter
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 5:46 PM

Hi Rio,
I am not familiar with your setup, but on Pilitak NT 37-068, there was no polishing system (except the engine itself..... way more fuel than was needed was run through the various primary and secondary filters then returned to the tank) on board, and opening the fuel line between tanks would only "equalize" the levels using gravity and air pressure. To empty a tank (by transferring all the fuel to the opposite tank), would require the installation of a pump or using a portable pump.
Best,
Tom Easterbrook
NT 37-068 Pilitak (formerly)
Nanaimo, BC

As most of you undoubtedly know, in order to calibrate my fuel gauges, I need to start with an empty tank.
Is it possible to transfer fuel from one tank to the other?  I have a polishing system but no specific transfer pump.
Ideas?

Rio DeGennaro
37-197
Chocowinity, NC

Hi Rio, I am not familiar with your setup, but on Pilitak NT 37-068, there was no polishing system (except the engine itself..... way more fuel than was needed was run through the various primary and secondary filters then returned to the tank) on board, and opening the fuel line between tanks would only "equalize" the levels using gravity and air pressure. To empty a tank (by transferring all the fuel to the opposite tank), would require the installation of a pump or using a portable pump. Best, Tom Easterbrook NT 37-068 Pilitak (formerly) Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: Rio DeGennaro via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: October 23, 2023 6:36 AM To: SENTOA <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: Rio DeGennaro <riodeg22@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] Transfering fuel As most of you undoubtedly know, in order to calibrate my fuel gauges, I need to start with an empty tank. Is it possible to transfer fuel from one tank to the other? I have a polishing system but no specific transfer pump. Ideas? Rio DeGennaro 37-197 Chocowinity, NC
SC
Sam Colllins
Mon, Oct 23, 2023 6:03 PM

Rio,

Perhaps a Fuel Polishing Company could empty your tank, clean it and polish
the fuel when refilling?

Sam Collins

Tug-A-Long

NT 32FB-95