sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

NT37 - Re-caulking Seam between transom and swim platform

SH
stephen.h.hill@gmail.com
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 1:40 AM

I need to re-caulk the seam between my transom and swim platform. Any good technique you’ve used to make removal of the old caulking easier?

Thanks
Stephen Hill
NT37-199
Tug’n

Sent from my iPhone

I need to re-caulk the seam between my transom and swim platform. Any good technique you’ve used to make removal of the old caulking easier? Thanks Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n Sent from my iPhone
FF
Fire Fighter
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 3:06 AM

Stephen,
When I redid mine, it was just determination and hard work 🙂 I do not know of a "short cut".
I used a long bladed "box cutter", a scraper, and my fingers. If I remember correctly, it took my wife and I about 3 hours to remove all of the old caulk. Then gave the area a good cleaning with acetone, I think, and then put in the new caulk. I suggest using some "backing compound" (it is a round, thick string like substance available at the hardware store) in first, and then use Sikaflex 295UV or 291.
Good luck, and maybe some else has an easier method.
Tom Easterbrook

I need to re-caulk the seam between my transom and swim platform. Any good technique you’ve used to make removal of the old caulking easier?

Thanks
Stephen Hill
NT37-199
Tug’n

Sent from my iPhone

Stephen, When I redid mine, it was just determination and hard work 🙂 I do not know of a "short cut". I used a long bladed "box cutter", a scraper, and my fingers. If I remember correctly, it took my wife and I about 3 hours to remove all of the old caulk. Then gave the area a good cleaning with acetone, I think, and then put in the new caulk. I suggest using some "backing compound" (it is a round, thick string like substance available at the hardware store) in first, and then use Sikaflex 295UV or 291. Good luck, and maybe some else has an easier method. Tom Easterbrook ________________________________ From: Stephen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: September 6, 2021 6:40 PM To: Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: stephen.h.hill@gmail.com <stephen.h.hill@gmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] NT37 - Re-caulking Seam between transom and swim platform I need to re-caulk the seam between my transom and swim platform. Any good technique you’ve used to make removal of the old caulking easier? Thanks Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n Sent from my iPhone _______________________________________________ Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org