sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

solar panels

ctassone
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 7:10 PM

Hello all,
I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time. After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190. I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else. Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great. Thanks.

Chris Tassone
Bruno 32-190
Traverse City, MI

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Hello all, I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time. After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190. I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else. Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great. Thanks. Chris Tassone Bruno 32-190 Traverse City, MI Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.
SH
stephen.h.hill@gmail.com
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 8:19 PM

I also cruise in the North Channel  Eight years ago I installed 500 watts of solar panels on NT37-199. If I were installing today I’d put in closer to 900 watts as the panels have gotten much more efficient. I particularly like the panels from Qcell as they split their panels in two and hard wire each half in parallel which really helps with any shading. As for charge controllers, I’d recommend Victron as they seem to be the leading brand today

Best wishes
Stephen Hill
NT37-199
Tug’n.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 29, 2022, at 3:10 PM, ctassone via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Hello all,
I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time.  After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190.  I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else.  Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great.  Thanks.

Chris Tassone
Bruno 32-190
Traverse City, MI

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

I also cruise in the North Channel Eight years ago I installed 500 watts of solar panels on NT37-199. If I were installing today I’d put in closer to 900 watts as the panels have gotten much more efficient. I particularly like the panels from Qcell as they split their panels in two and hard wire each half in parallel which really helps with any shading. As for charge controllers, I’d recommend Victron as they seem to be the leading brand today Best wishes Stephen Hill NT37-199 Tug’n. Sent from my iPhone > On Aug 29, 2022, at 3:10 PM, ctassone via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > >  > Hello all, > I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time. After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190. I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else. Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great. Thanks. > > Chris Tassone > Bruno 32-190 > Traverse City, MI > > Sent with Proton Mail secure email. > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
DW
David Wilkie Owen
Mon, Aug 29, 2022 9:19 PM

I am finishing up my installation of 760 watts on WILSON (NT32-260). They really fill the top of the Pilothouse, but I am thrilled so far.  Two 380 watt Panasonic panels, each with a separate Victron MPPT controller.  Panels have a little over a foot between them.

I’m really impressed so far.  I am running two reefers and a 3000 watt inverter to power espresso machine and microwave, though my 110 loads never run very long.

David

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 29, 2022, at 1:19 PM, Stephen via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

[...]

I am finishing up my installation of 760 watts on WILSON (NT32-260). They really fill the top of the Pilothouse, but I am thrilled so far. Two 380 watt Panasonic panels, each with a separate Victron MPPT controller. Panels have a little over a foot between them. I’m really impressed so far. I am running two reefers and a 3000 watt inverter to power espresso machine and microwave, though my 110 loads never run very long. David Sent from my iPad > On Aug 29, 2022, at 1:19 PM, Stephen via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > I also cruise in the North Channel Eight years ago I installed 500 watts of solar panels on NT37-199. If I were installing today I’d put in closer to 900 watts as the panels have gotten much more efficient. I particularly like the panels from Qcell as they split their panels in two and hard wire each half in parallel which really helps with any shading. As for charge controllers, I’d recommend Victron as they seem to be the leading brand today > > Best wishes > Stephen Hill > NT37-199 > Tug’n. > > Sent from my iPhone > >>> On Aug 29, 2022, at 3:10 PM, ctassone via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >>> >>  >> Hello all, >> I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time. After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190. I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else. Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great. Thanks. >> >> Chris Tassone >> Bruno 32-190 >> Traverse City, MI >> >> Sent with Proton Mail secure email. >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
FF
Fire Fighter
Tue, Aug 30, 2022 12:22 AM

Chris,
Personally, I don't think brand of solar panel is overly important (although getting a "name brand" is not a bad idea), but I do recommend getting a quality MPPT controller (or one for each panel). Brands like Morningstar, Blue Seas, Victron, Sunsaver, Midnite, and Outback to name a few.
I installed 2 Stark monocrystaline 285 watt panels on the roof of our pilothouse and used one Morningstar MPPT controller. With this setup we were able to recharge to 100% every day by about 1- 3 PM, except on days with fog or heavy cloud cover. More wattage is better. I have never heard anyone say they installed too much solar!!
Do your homework, as this technology is changing and improving regularly.
Good luck,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068
Nanaimo, BC

I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time.  After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190.  I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else.  Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great.  Thanks.

Chris Tassone
Bruno 32-190
Traverse City, MI

Sent with Proton Mailhttps://proton.me/ secure email.

Chris, Personally, I don't think brand of solar panel is overly important (although getting a "name brand" is not a bad idea), but I do recommend getting a quality MPPT controller (or one for each panel). Brands like Morningstar, Blue Seas, Victron, Sunsaver, Midnite, and Outback to name a few. I installed 2 Stark monocrystaline 285 watt panels on the roof of our pilothouse and used one Morningstar MPPT controller. With this setup we were able to recharge to 100% every day by about 1- 3 PM, except on days with fog or heavy cloud cover. More wattage is better. I have never heard anyone say they installed too much solar!! Do your homework, as this technology is changing and improving regularly. Good luck, Tom Easterbrook formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 Nanaimo, BC ________________________________ From: ctassone via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Sent: August 29, 2022 12:10 PM To: South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA) <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> Cc: ctassone <ctassone@protonmail.com> Subject: [Sentoa] solar panels Hello all, I know the solar panel installation topic has been talked about before but can we do it one more time. After spending a month in Canada's North Channel ( Lake Huron), I want to add 2 panels to Bruno 32-190. I remember comments on Renogy panels by Harry Hungate but little else. Any info, size, brand, and pictures would be great. Thanks. Chris Tassone Bruno 32-190 Traverse City, MI Sent with Proton Mail<https://proton.me/> secure email.