sentoa@lists.sentoa.org

South East Nordic Tugs Owners' Association (SENTOA)

View all threads

Exhaust

PB
Paul Bulk
Sat, Nov 18, 2023 7:19 PM

Hello. The FRP exhaust piping and some of the hosing on my 2001 32 is starting to fail, due to high temperatures before. Testing shows a max temp of 220F so I will be installing a Vetus mixer to help get rid of the hot spots.
I want to change the FRP out for silicone or rubber but how do I couple these hoses/elbows together?

Paul Bulk
Crown Prince
Brentwood Bay, BC
32-191

Hello. The FRP exhaust piping and some of the hosing on my 2001 32 is starting to fail, due to high temperatures before. Testing shows a max temp of 220F so I will be installing a Vetus mixer to help get rid of the hot spots. I want to change the FRP out for silicone or rubber but how do I couple these hoses/elbows together? Paul Bulk Crown Prince Brentwood Bay, BC 32-191
HH
Harry Hungate
Sat, Nov 18, 2023 8:22 PM

Perhaps the cooling water flow to the exhaust mixer elbow is restricted?Temp should be way less than 220F.

Harry Hungate
NT32-238

On Nov 18, 2023, at 2:20 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Hello. The FRP exhaust piping and some of the hosing on my 2001 32 is starting to fail, due to high temperatures before. Testing shows a max temp of 220F so I will be installing a Vetus mixer to help get rid of the hot spots.
I want to change the FRP out for silicone or rubber but how do I couple these hoses/elbows together?

Paul Bulk
Crown Prince
Brentwood Bay, BC
32-191

Perhaps the cooling water flow to the exhaust mixer elbow is restricted?Temp should be way less than 220F. Harry Hungate NT32-238 > On Nov 18, 2023, at 2:20 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > Hello. The FRP exhaust piping and some of the hosing on my 2001 32 is starting to fail, due to high temperatures before. Testing shows a max temp of 220F so I will be installing a Vetus mixer to help get rid of the hot spots. > I want to change the FRP out for silicone or rubber but how do I couple these hoses/elbows together? > > Paul Bulk > Crown Prince > Brentwood Bay, BC > 32-191 > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
PB
Paul Bulk
Sat, Nov 18, 2023 8:44 PM

Thanks Harry. There is no blockage that I could find but my era boat is known to produce hot spots in the exhaust system. Most of the pipe is nice and cool but the poor mixing combined with barely adequate water pump are likely the issues. Cameron and Jim wrote a great article about it on SENTOA, http://sentoa.org/maintenance_tips/wet_exhaust.html

For peace of mind I want to replace the FRP with rubber or silicone which has a much higher operating temperature. The issue is how do I connect up the rubber hoses and elbows? Their lack of rigidity and matching ID/OD means I have to use an insert to couple them. I am thinking of using a 5” OD piece of stainless pipe.

Paul Bulk
Crown Prince
Brentwood Bay, BC
32-191

On Nov 18, 2023, at 12:22, Harry Hungate via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Perhaps the cooling water flow to the exhaust mixer elbow is restricted?Temp should be way less than 220F.

Harry Hungate
NT32-238

On Nov 18, 2023, at 2:20 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa sentoa@lists.sentoa.org wrote:

Hello. The FRP exhaust piping and some of the hosing on my 2001 32 is starting to fail, due to high temperatures before. Testing shows a max temp of 220F so I will be installing a Vetus mixer to help get rid of the hot spots.
I want to change the FRP out for silicone or rubber but how do I couple these hoses/elbows together?

Paul Bulk
Crown Prince
Brentwood Bay, BC
32-191

Thanks Harry. There is no blockage that I could find but my era boat is known to produce hot spots in the exhaust system. Most of the pipe is nice and cool but the poor mixing combined with barely adequate water pump are likely the issues. Cameron and Jim wrote a great article about it on SENTOA, http://sentoa.org/maintenance_tips/wet_exhaust.html For peace of mind I want to replace the FRP with rubber or silicone which has a much higher operating temperature. The issue is how do I connect up the rubber hoses and elbows? Their lack of rigidity and matching ID/OD means I have to use an insert to couple them. I am thinking of using a 5” OD piece of stainless pipe. Paul Bulk Crown Prince Brentwood Bay, BC 32-191 > On Nov 18, 2023, at 12:22, Harry Hungate via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: > > Perhaps the cooling water flow to the exhaust mixer elbow is restricted?Temp should be way less than 220F. > > Harry Hungate > NT32-238 > >>> On Nov 18, 2023, at 2:20 PM, Paul Bulk via Sentoa <sentoa@lists.sentoa.org> wrote: >>> >> Hello. The FRP exhaust piping and some of the hosing on my 2001 32 is starting to fail, due to high temperatures before. Testing shows a max temp of 220F so I will be installing a Vetus mixer to help get rid of the hot spots. >> I want to change the FRP out for silicone or rubber but how do I couple these hoses/elbows together? >> >> Paul Bulk >> Crown Prince >> Brentwood Bay, BC >> 32-191 >> _______________________________________________ >> Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org > _______________________________________________ > Sentoa mailing list -- sentoa@lists.sentoa.org > To unsubscribe send an email to sentoa-leave@lists.sentoa.org
FF
Fire Fighter
Sat, Nov 18, 2023 9:07 PM

Hi Paul,
I strongly recommend further investigation into potential exhaust system issues. See both the attached articles (even though the NT 37 is a different model the type of exhaust elbow maybe the same) for some good info.
On my 2002 NT 37, shortly after buying her, I installed an exhaust hose temperature alarm. As it turned out, this probably saved me from a potentially really big problem. During our first summer, the alarm sounded. I carefully checked all engine temps using an IR temp gun, and found all to be well within expected range, except for a few spots on the exhaust hose. There were several spots reading way too hot (and these did not reach 220 degrees). Running that hot can cause the hose to delaminate leading to a possible full hose failure (resulting in exhaust gases and extremely hot salt water leaking into the boat). This is also the very first area where an overheat from almost any cause will first show up. So I highly recommend the installation of this type of alarm. The early alarm can save expensive engine damage, as relying on the regular factory alarm could be too late to avoid damage! The actual cause of my hose overheat was the fact that my exhaust elbow (that looked almost new on the outside, had developed interior perforations (resulting in INTERIOR leaks) that greatly reduced the effectiveness of the cooling spray pattern. This leak could have also allowed seawater to enter my turbo and maybe even my engine through the exhaust if I had not noticed the problem (due to the newly installed exhaust hose alarm)!! Water flow everywhere else was great. To be clear, this type of failure (in the worse case scenario) could result in the need for a new engine if the situation allowed seawater to enter the engine!! There would be no visible signs.
Also see sbmar.com (Seaboard Marine) under "Tony's Tips" to read up about "doomed to fail" exhaust systems. My exhaust elbow, like Kelly's (the author of the attached article regarding his NT 37) was a "doomed to fail" situation. Even these elbows made from stainless steel have an operating life and require replacement as ongoing maintenance, not to mention the "doomed to fail" setup. I used National Marine exhaust out of Marysville, Wash. to design and build a custom exhaust elbow for my boat and was very pleased with the result. The alarm I mentioned is inexpensive, and easy to install. Both Borel (the one I used) and Aqualarm sell models of this alarm. I also installed an Aqualarm water flow alarm between the sea strainer and the water pump to detect instantly any lack of water flow (that could be caused by forgetting to open the sea cock, some sort of external blockage like a plastic bag or seaweed, or a blocked cooler somewhere in the system). Again, not too expensive and very effective.
https://sentoa.org/maintenance_tips/wet_exhaust_37.html
https://sentoa.org/maintenance_tips/wet_exhaust.html
I hope this info proves helpful to you and other NT owners (of older boats). I found Kelly's article to be very, very helpful.
Best,
Tom Easterbrook
formerly Pilitak NT 37-068 (2002)
Nanaimo, BC